turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaathom

For 2016, where do I enter Virginia 529 contributions? The 2015 instructions I found don`t seem to make sense in this year`s software; I could not follow them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

For 2016, where do I enter Virginia 529 contributions? The 2015 instructions I found don`t seem to make sense in this year`s software; I could not follow them.

After you have answered all questions in the Personal Info and Federal Taxes sections, the program will direct you to the State Taxes section, where you will then be asked to answer a series of questions regarding Virginia.  In the Income section of the State Taxes interview, you will be directed to a page with the heading, "Here's the income that Virginia handles differently" - screenshot of the page is attached.

Under Education, the Virginia College Savings Prepaid Tuition (Section 529) Plan is listed.  Click on the Start button for the Virginia 529 Plan, and you will be directed to a page asking whether you have ever had a 529 plan, and a subsequent page asking whether you have made a payment or contribution in 2016 to a Virginia 529 plan, or have a carryover payment or contribution from 2015.  If you answer yes, a page will open, entitled "Enter Your Account Info and Activity" (screenshot attached), which will enable you to enter your 2016 or 2015 carryover payment or contribution, and other account information for your Virginia 529 plan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnR1

After you have answered all questions in the Personal Info and Federal Taxes sections, the program will direct you to the State Taxes section, where you will then be asked to answer a series of questions regarding Virginia.  In the Income section of the State Taxes interview, you will be directed to a page with the heading, "Here's the income that Virginia handles differently" - screenshot of the page is attached.

Under Education, the Virginia College Savings Prepaid Tuition (Section 529) Plan is listed.  Click on the Start button for the Virginia 529 Plan, and you will be directed to a page asking whether you have ever had a 529 plan, and a subsequent page asking whether you have made a payment or contribution in 2016 to a Virginia 529 plan, or have a carryover payment or contribution from 2015.  If you answer yes, a page will open, entitled "Enter Your Account Info and Activity" (screenshot attached), which will enable you to enter your 2016 or 2015 carryover payment or contribution, and other account information for your Virginia 529 plan.

dcpattie

TurboTax failed us with the 529 carryover.  TurboTax auto imports the pervious years return so they knew I had 529 carryover funds available yet it did not auto import and I completely forgot about it until 2-months after filling.  I'm going to make certain my 529 carryover funds show up in the 2017 edition.  Shame on you Inuit!
peninsula

"I completely forgot about it until 2-months after filling." If you had not forgotten, you could have entered the carryover amount manually. It is not hard.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies