Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Florida nonresident return and rental property

Hello - I am a GA resident and own a small rental property in FL that generates a relatively nominal amount of income. I filled out my federal and GA state taxes with TT (and already accounted for my FL rental income and expenses in GA). At the end, TT prompted me to purchase an additional state (FL) and suggested I would need to file a nonresident FL return. So I paid the $40 and there was nothing to fill out and nothing changed on my Fed or GA returns. Was this purchase unnecessary or is it just the sort of thing that is required no matter what? Thanks and appreciate your guidance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Florida return in TurboTax is to report tangible personal property that is used in a Florida-located business or rental property and is filed with the county property appraiser by April 1st. 

If you do need to file a Form DR-405, nothing will print (except an instruction sheet) unless assets were transferred or you manually entered assets in the DR-405 worksheet. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose Skip State in the State Taxes section.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The Florida return in TurboTax is to report tangible personal property that is used in a Florida-located business or rental property and is filed with the county property appraiser by April 1st. 

If you do need to file a Form DR-405, nothing will print (except an instruction sheet) unless assets were transferred or you manually entered assets in the DR-405 worksheet. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose Skip State in the State Taxes section.

Thanks very much. I do not have personal property to report (and have received a waiver of filing from FL), so I'll just chalk this up to a $40 education for future filing purposes. 🙂 

@bdabda You can use the link below to contact Support if you want to get your money back for that useless state program.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Beautiful. I will give that a try! Thanks again.

jk48326
Returning Member

How and where do you pay FL sales tax and county tourist tax on rental properties?  

@jk48326 wrote:

How and where do you pay FL sales tax and county tourist tax on rental properties?  

@jk48326 

You need to set up accounts with both the Florida Department of Revenue and your local county property tax appraiser.

https://floridarevenue.com/taxes/eservices/Pages/filepay.aspx

You can do a search for your county property tax appraiser.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies