turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

r-omeara

I've been living in New Zealand for all of 2018. Does that mean I don't file a state tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I've been living in New Zealand for all of 2018. Does that mean I don't file a state tax return?

If you are only using your parent's address in Colorado, you do not have a state filing requirement.  However, it looks like you already filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Each state is different and has different residency and domicile rules.  What state is it and do you have a home there or intend to return there when you move back to the US.  Did you file a 2017 return for that state?
r-omeara

I last lived in Chicago, IL, but sold my house and relocated my US address to my parents’ home in Colorado.  I did file a CO return just to be safe.  
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are only using your parent's address in Colorado, you do not have a state filing requirement.  However, it looks like you already filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies