Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-Filed FED and did state later, now TT won't let me e-file my state without the FED, why?

I e-filed my federal return without doing the state (New Jersey). Now that I have the state done, I am trying to e-file it.

When I try to file, I get the message "E-file requires federal return. To e-file, you must also select the federal return. Click "Back" to select federal and any other returns you'd like to file."

There's no federal return to select BECAUSE I ALREADY DID IT! What gives? Anyone?

Running Turbo Tax on my desktop PC Windows 10.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

E-Filed FED and did state later, now TT won't let me e-file my state without the FED, why?

I have exactly the same issue.  My e-filed Fed was 'accepted', txt message and email to my account acknowledging acceptance.  further,  TT program includes message "Congratulations your Fed return was accepted".  I'm trying to e-file my Massachusetts state return and have exactly the same experience / response as bigmaky 

Running Turbo Tax Home and Business on my desktop PC Windows 10, Release 020.000.1654

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same issue with my CA return! Could be a bug with the latest updates.

Seems to be a common issue. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with support yesterday and the final solution I got was “mail it in.” Swell.

jmirant

Did you get a refund of the$25 state filing fee?

Interestingly, I mentioned this to a friend who also uses TT. This very same 2 step sequence worked for him a couple of weeks ago making it even more likely the recent software update probably screwed something up.

unmesh59, this seems highly likely to me as well, as I e-filed both fed and state returns in mid-Feb with no issue.  Helping my father in late Feb, e-filed both his fed and state no issue there either.  

I don't know how to link other users posts with the same issue, so I'll list them by username.  I've seen three different posts on the same topic.

Jane42 today at 12:42;  jmannix3 today 16:13 and Newdye63 at 16:23

A 'solution' from TT which labels the issue as "solved"  is found at https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

It does not really solve anything though.  It directs you to sign up for an e-mail update when the issue has been solved.

Good luck, 

I am in the same situation and haven't been able to get a refund yet. Tech support said they couldn't refund it  because it was less than 24 hours after I made the charge. That made no sense to me, since other vendors can do it.  I'm going to call again soon and demand a refund again. I'm going to file my state return on paper. I need the tax refund sooner rather than later and can't wait until (or if) Intuit's software people fix the problem.

Interesting dilemma since I don't know how long it would take them to scan in the paper return and submit it for processing. For e-filed returns, I've had them process the refund quickly, possibly using some automated process, and do an electronic transfer of the funds into my bank account.

Are we that unusual in doing a two step filing? I've been doing it this way for many years now without incident.

I have had other problems filing my MA forms with TT. One year, TT and MA were not in sync about whether there should be a period after my middle initial. MA wanted it different from what Federal wanted, and TT couldn't seem to cope with it. I filed MA on paper that year. And yes, I had to go after Intuit for a refund of the electronic filing fee that they had already charged. I've only been filing electronically for a few years, and I may go back to filing my MA return on paper permanently. I'll save $25 and the likelihood of grief from TT.

I didn't get that far.

So I found, on a New Jersey Tax site, If Box 16 on your W-2 is greater than Box 1, you cannot file electronically OR if your filing as a part time resident. This is for New Jersey. 

Overall I noticed Turbo Tax's quality is going down hill. Years ago, I'd never get any errors to correct after running the "review". This year I got more than every (24!).

Intuit sold Quicken in 2016. In 2016, the Quicken interface looked like it did 10 or more years before that. In 2021, it still looks like it did in 2016. With the loss in TT revenue due to free online filing by the IRS and many state taxing authorities themselves, it's possible Intuit will sell off their TT business as well.

I did not get a refund and TT needs to address this.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@smaakfive If you need personalized information about your return, please reach out to our live representatives for assistance: Contact TurboTax  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies