turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bb3526
Returning Member

E-file

Why can't I e-file my state taxes if I'm mailing my federal tax, which I really don't have to file because my only income is SSI. I tried to mail my state, but the site won't let me do that either. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

E-file

If the federal tax return is not e-filed then the state return cannot be e-filed, only printed and mailed.  This was put in place to help reduce the number of fraudulent tax return being sent to the states.

In the File section of the program you just need to select File by Mail instead of E-file.  For the online editions the selection is in Step 3.  For the desktop editions the option is available when File is selected.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

E-file

The way the software works does not allow e-filing of a state return if the federal return has not been e-filed and accepted.  If you did not e-file a federal return, you must print, sign and mail a state return if you are filing one.

What do you mean the site won't let you mail your state return?  In order to print the state return you have to pay for using the software.  Is that the problem?  You cannot print unless your fees have been paid.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

E-file

If you only get SS or SSDI or ssi you do not have to file a federal return and can not efile.  You can try entering $1 of bank interest to let you efile federal.  Make up a 1099Int.

E-file

How do I go back to efile instead of print 

E-file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies