Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax allow to file two state tax returns for same state

Hello,

I moved to Florida from Virginia in November 2023 and it looks like I need to file two VA state tax returns (760PY - part year resident and 763 - nonresident) as I still earn VA sourced income.  My question is - does TurboTax allow for the completion and submission (all at same time) of two returns for the same state?  

Regards

Dave

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I believe you do have to file both types of returns for Virigina, but you likely cannot file both via TurboTax (you might want to contact Support for confirmation).

You can always, of course, file the PY return using TurboTax and then download the NR return and file it by mail. 

You cannot file 2 state returns for the same tax year ... in the year of the move you simply file a part year resident return.  Next year you file a non resident return if you still work for the VA company.

I got the following off another income tax preparation software company's web site (DIY).

A Part-Year Resident is an individual that moved into or out of the state during the tax year. If you were a Virginia part year resident and had Virginia source income both while a part-year resident and nonresident of Virginia, you must file both the Part-Year return reporting your Virginia source income while you lived in VA and the nonresident return reporting your Virginia source income while you were a Nonresident of the state.

Within the program, you cannot file both a part-year and nonresident return for the same state on the same account. You can download one of the forms from the Virginia website and file the return by mail.

WOW ... how convoluted. 

Yeah, big mess and a really dumb policy.

Here is another stranger than fiction rule ... in RI  you have to file a single member LLC (disregarded on the fed return) as a partnership on the RI return ???   Only state to do this dumb thing. 

Yeah - I would suspect this is not an uncommon situation.  I actually called TurboTax support and was on the phone for a while with an agent.   Although she indicated I would be able to file VA returns at the same time (as she said that based on the questions I need to answer in the software it would generate both Virginia tax forms) I am doubtful this will happen.  I spoke with a Virginia tax consultant recently whose job is primarily to defend VA state tax payers in such audits.  She mentioned that I could file 760PY online with TurboTax and then send a paper copy of VA 763 (non resident) but she advised against this would likely be problematic (linking up the two tax returns).  Thanks for everyone that provided me answers.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies