turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does estimated tax payment to CA FTB preclude e-filing CA state tax return and force a paper submission?

CA, MFJ: If we pay estimated taxes to the CA FTB due to inadequate state income tax withholding on our paychecks, does TurboTax now allow e-filing of the CA state income tax return? A couple years back when I was in a similar situation, I had to print the return and send in a paper copy, which was very painful. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Does estimated tax payment to CA FTB preclude e-filing CA state tax return and force a paper submission?

That shouldn't have been the reason you had to mail that year.  Yes I efile MFJ every year with CA estimates.

Maybe it was to print out the next years estimate forms to mail?

Thanks @VolvoGirl   Good to know. 
No, it was the same tax return (i.e. previous calendar year's) that TurboTax made me mail in. The only thing different for that particular tax year vs all my other tax years was that I had needed to make estimated payments to FTB online due to an expected shortfall in withholdings. (So the print/mail requirement had nothing to do with the next tax year's estimated tax form.) 

So did you make an estimated payment during the  year?  Or was it a payment with an extension to file or a tax due on your CA return?  Any of those would not prevent you from efiling.  Had to be another reason.   Like you tried to efile too early?  Guess we won't worry about the past now.  If it happens again post back and ask before you mail it.  

Not an extension to file, but there was tax due on my return (only ca. $300, which less than 3% of total tax due). This was for tax year 2018; filing was in early March 2019. I had made the estim payment to FTB in June 2018 for tax year 2018. 

Anyway, I'll be sending in an estimated payment to FTB online this month due to my 1099-NEC income for 2021 being much higher than expected, and if I encounter this issue of TurboTax forcing me to print & mail the CA return at the time of my expected filing in March or so, I will bring up this topic here again. Thanks so much for your help!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies