Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dot2972

Does anyone know when the MA tax form 1-NR/PY and others will be available in Turbo Tax? It seems odd they don't have this avail. I work in MA full time and live in NH.

I can't complete the filing because two forms, including 1-NR/PY are evidently not available to Turbo Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Does anyone know when the MA tax form 1-NR/PY and others will be available in Turbo Tax? It seems odd they don't have this avail. I work in MA full time and live in NH.

Form 1 Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Tax Return is scheduled to be released on February 3, 2022.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dot2972

Thanks so much!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Here is the schedule of state form availability for TurboTax.

bgp603

I'm really confused by this form and hoping you can share some info. Like you, I also reside in NH full time but work in MA.  To my knowledge I've never apportioned my taxes and have used TurboTax for years.. I have never completed this form myself, so is this something that is mailed to me by my employer just like a W-2 ? Also, reading the Form 1-NR/PY it says "You cannot apportion Massachusetts wages as shown on Form W-2." -  So if that is the case, what is the point of filing this form? I am at a loss...

TomD8
Level 15

Was all your work in 2021 actually (physically) performed in Massachusetts?  If so, all your income from that work is taxable by Massachusetts, and you must file a non-resident MA tax return.

In the Personal Info section of TurboTax, enter NH as your State of Residence, and indicate that you had Other State Income from MA. 

You would only have to allocate your wages if some of your work was performed outside MA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
bgp603

Thanks for the reply. No, although working for MA company I worked remotely (from home in NH) from Jan 2021 to July7, 2021. When getting to the 1-NR/PY page I’m not able to process through it because I don’t have this form. everywhere I’ve read it says the form is not needed if your W2 shows all of the actual wages earned in MA. Well my W2 does show all of the actual wages earned in MA, so then why is this form needed ? That is my issue 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Correct, since your w2 shows all wages as MA, and they were, no need to break out the MA portion.

MA taxes income earned from a MA source or a MA job. Since you worked for a MA organization, you have MA income and must pay MA tax. You need to fill out the MA non-resident form 1- NR/PY first to create the tax liability. THEN prepare your resident state return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same income. You may owe your resident state.

Ejkfox
Returning Member

Hi Amy,

I only have retirement income and literally spent 6 months living in MA and six months living in NC.  I have split my pension and IRA income as well as my dividend and interest income in half between the two states.

In trying to complete MA form 1-NR/PY, I cannot get it to accept my numbers and it is preventing me from filing.

Do I need to delete my state input info for MA and complete this form first?

Thank you.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Please clarify and be more specific @Ejkfox about what errors you are receiving from TurboTax that are preventing you from filing.

You can trying deleting one or both states. Sometimes this will clear up data clogs. However, part-year returns can be done in any order.

Can you file MA tax form 1-NR/PY on TurboTax?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes. You select it in the beginning with the residency questions and then go through the income allocation section. If you are using desktop, update your software. If you are online,  Contact Us as there is a problem.

@katelynmccoole

When will there be an update released to Turbotax so that this form can be filed? It is 10 days past when the form was scheduled for release. Or has it not been released yet? @AmyC @ErnieS0 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, MA tax form 1-NR/PY  is available now. 

If you are still having problems with this and you have allowed your software to update, click here for more help with this issue. 

It is available in PDF/print form on the MA website but not in Turbotax. Will this be available in Turbotax soon, that is my question? I was able to file it using Turbotax last year. It says 'available soon' when I load up Turbotax.

@JulieS @AmyC @ErnieS0 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies