goff7979

Do I need to file local taxes each year if I live in Ohio? I don't think I have previously but I have never heard anything about not filing?

Hal_Al

Yes, Mansfield has a city income tax and has a mandatory filing requirement.

Since you both live and work in Mansfield, your employer has been withholding the correct amount of tax (see boxes 18-20 on your W-2). You don't owe any back tax for all those years you didn't file.

Mansfield administers it's own tax system. That CCA special membership is collection procedure only.

I suggest you contact the city to see what they want you to do. Some cities, like Cincinnati & Toledo, do not require you to file if the exact amount is withheld. It may be that Mansfield is doing that, unofficially. They probably know you live in the city from the withholding your employer submits.

City web site: http://www.ci.mansfield.oh.us/departments-sp-783975672/income-tax-division.html

That depends on where you live.  OH has some very tricky local taxes--RITA taxes, school district taxes, and some city taxes.  Where do you live?  And where do you work?
goff7979

I live in Mansfield, Ohio and work in Mansfield.
goff7979

It appears Mansfield is on the special member list for CCA and does not require filing. Is this correct?

The real expert on this is @Hal_Al   He will know.
Hal_Al

Thanks!
Hal_Al

To verify or find out if you live in a school district or city with an income tax enter your address at:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx">http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/Loca...>
goff7979

Thank you so much this has been a huge help!