turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goff7979

Do I need to file local taxes each year if I live in Ohio? I don't think I have previously but I have never heard anything about not filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I need to file local taxes each year if I live in Ohio? I don't think I have previously but I have never heard anything about not filing?

Yes, Mansfield has a city income tax and has a mandatory filing requirement.

Since you both live and work in Mansfield, your employer has been withholding the correct amount of tax (see boxes 18-20 on your W-2). You don't owe any back tax for all those years you didn't file.

Mansfield administers it's own tax system. That CCA special membership is collection procedure only.

I suggest you contact the city to see what they want you to do. Some cities, like Cincinnati & Toledo, do not require you to file if the exact amount is withheld. It may be that Mansfield is doing that, unofficially. They probably know you live in the city from the withholding your employer submits.

City web site: http://www.ci.mansfield.oh.us/departments-sp-783975672/income-tax-division.html

View solution in original post

8 Replies

That depends on where you live.  OH has some very tricky local taxes--RITA taxes, school district taxes, and some city taxes.  Where do you live?  And where do you work?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
goff7979

I live in Mansfield, Ohio and work in Mansfield.
goff7979

It appears Mansfield is on the special member list for CCA and does not require filing. Is this correct?

The real expert on this is @Hal_Al   He will know.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, Mansfield has a city income tax and has a mandatory filing requirement.

Since you both live and work in Mansfield, your employer has been withholding the correct amount of tax (see boxes 18-20 on your W-2). You don't owe any back tax for all those years you didn't file.

Mansfield administers it's own tax system. That CCA special membership is collection procedure only.

I suggest you contact the city to see what they want you to do. Some cities, like Cincinnati & Toledo, do not require you to file if the exact amount is withheld. It may be that Mansfield is doing that, unofficially. They probably know you live in the city from the withholding your employer submits.

City web site: http://www.ci.mansfield.oh.us/departments-sp-783975672/income-tax-division.html

Thanks!
Hal_Al
Level 15

To verify or find out if you live in a school district or city with an income tax enter your address at:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx">http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/Loca...>
goff7979

Thank you so much this has been a huge help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies