turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why won't the Oregon t-tax allow for my $100 (jointly filed) credit for political contributions? It keeps noting it as a mistake. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cindy0H

Why won't the Oregon t-tax allow for my $100 (jointly filed) credit for political contributions? It keeps noting it as a mistake. Please help.

Could this be why?

Note: A political contribution credit isn’t allowed if your federal AGI on Form OR-40, line 7 exceeds:

• $200,000 for married filing jointly filers; or • $100,000 for all other filers.

Oregon Instructions (page 17):

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/forms/FormsPubs/publication-or-40-fy_101-043_2018.pdf

Our AGI filing jointly is 172,315 -- so that can't be the reason.

thanks for the suggestion

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. It look like you are quoting from a 2018 publication. It mentions in this publication that, " A taxpayer may not claim the credit allowed under this section if the taxpayer has federal adjusted gross income in excess of $150,000 on a joint return or $75,000 on any other type of return." 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
al3xtec

I also had this issue in 2022. Thanks from the future!

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Perhaps your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is too high.  According to OR statutes:

A taxpayer may not claim the credit (Political contribution credit) allowed under this section if the taxpayer has federal adjusted gross income in excess of $150,000 on a joint return or $75,000 on any other type of return.

You can view your form 1040 using the forms view in desktop versions or following the steps below for online versions.  Your AGI is found on line 11. 

Please take these steps to preview your 1040 in TurboTax Online: 

1.  Select "Tax Tools" from the menu on the left side of the screen 

2. Next select "Tools" from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen 

3. Then click "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up menu 

4. Lastly, click on "Preview My 1040" from the menu on the left side of the screen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies