Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Church Internship Stipend--Is It Taxable?

I worked a Youth Ministry Internship for close to 6 months that was not college-related. The "payment" received was a monthly stipend. The amount is printed in box 7, but I'm wondering if, since the intent of this and any internship, is to gain work experience, I can put it under "other income" and report that the intent wasn't to earn payment?

Does it make a difference that it's in box 7 and not box 3 on my 1099 MISC?

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Church Internship Stipend--Is It Taxable?

The bottom line is that you were paid for the work you did. As such, the income is entered on Schedule C.

Box 7. Shows nonemployee compensation.   If the amount in this box is SE income, report it on Schedule C or F (Form 1040), and complete Schedule SE (Form 1040). You received this form instead of Form W-2 because the payer did not consider you an employee and did not withhold income tax or social security and Medicare tax.

You can enter a 1099-MISC on the 1099-MISC Summary screen.

  1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
  2. Click "search" and search for 1099-misc.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-misc link in the search results.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
  • If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  • Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
    • If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.

    About Community

    Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



    Manage cookies