Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't find 2019 Illinois Schedule M

I need to use Illinois Schedule M to enter a subtraction to income which will then go on Line 7 of form IL-1040. Using TurboTax Premier 2019 I am unable to find where to enter this data. Is the Illinois Schedule M form not yet available? I updated the program today.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

You can switch to forms mode and open up the form in your state return. You may not be able to modify fields on the form, in forms mode without causing an override, but you may able to get to the correct answer that way. 

1. To switch to forms mode, simply click on the Forms icon in the upper right corner. 
  2. Click on Open Form, toward the upper left corner, and use that box to search for Schedule M. Make sure it is for Illinois before you try to open it.
  3. Find the field you need on the form and place your cursor on it. If you can type in a number and the number stays blue, you are all set. 
  4. If the number turns red, or you can't change the number at all, right click in the box and select Data Source from the list. This will take you to the field or worksheet which is the source of that field.
  5. If Data Source is greyed out, right click again and select About XXX, at the bottom of the drop down list. A pop up will appear and it should tell you where the information is supposed to come from.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Which subtraction are you looking for?  TurboTax has a summary screen where most adjustments for the Schedule M go- look for 

Looking at my 2018 return in TurboTax Premier 2018, in the Illinois section there is a page with the heading "Here's the income that Illinois handles differently". This page has the sub-sections "Retirement Income Deduction" and "Exempt Interest Income". The entry under "Exempt Interest Income" is what I need to enter for 2019. The problem is that in TurboTax Premier 2019 that sub-section is NOT present. Only the "Retirement Income Deduction" sub-section is present.

There is a work-around that I could use. I can download and use the Illinois Schedule M form from the Illinois Department of Revenue, and then override the TurboTax Premier 2019 entry for line 7 on my IL-1040, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Either they have moved this entry somewhere different this year and I can't find it, or the form is missing from the Illinois TurboTax Premier 2019 program. Thanks for your reply, but it was not the solution for my problem.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

You can switch to forms mode and open up the form in your state return. You may not be able to modify fields on the form, in forms mode without causing an override, but you may able to get to the correct answer that way. 

1. To switch to forms mode, simply click on the Forms icon in the upper right corner. 
  2. Click on Open Form, toward the upper left corner, and use that box to search for Schedule M. Make sure it is for Illinois before you try to open it.
  3. Find the field you need on the form and place your cursor on it. If you can type in a number and the number stays blue, you are all set. 
  4. If the number turns red, or you can't change the number at all, right click in the box and select Data Source from the list. This will take you to the field or worksheet which is the source of that field.
  5. If Data Source is greyed out, right click again and select About XXX, at the bottom of the drop down list. A pop up will appear and it should tell you where the information is supposed to come from.

Your response solved my problem and I thank you for that!

However, I have needed this form every year for quite a few years, and this is the first time I have had any difficulty finding it. Last year, it was found by starting on the page with the heading "Here's the income that Illinois handles differently", then going to the sub-section  "Exempt Interest Income".  This year, that sub-section is not listed.

For the benefit of other users who need this form, I hope you will fix this soon in a program update.

jmgpenway

The Schedule M form is not in the Forms drop down menu when I go to look for it.

Cant understand why?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We strongly recommend going through the program, that should trigger the form.

Two possible solutions:

1. The form is there and hiding. That happened to me just now looking for the M. It showed up the first time but not the second. I know it is in mine. I found that if I typed anything in the search box, I could not get the M to show up. Leave the search box blank and look for it.

2. The state program need to be updated or re-installed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies