turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I file tax by Turbotax? Hi, my visa status is H1B, and my wife's is F1. I work and live in CA, and my wife moved to CA in 2020/08 and worked for a company in NYC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I file tax by Turbotax? Hi, my visa status is H1B, and my wife's is F1. I work and live in CA, and my wife moved to CA in 2020/08 and worked for a company in NYC.

No, to file a U.S. tax return, you'll need to file through our partner, Sprintax.  TurboTax does not handle form 1040NR for non resident aliens.

H-1B visa holders who are U.S. resident aliens for the entire taxable year must report their entire worldwide income on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, in the same manner as if they were U.S. citizens. If they also paid foreign income tax on foreign-source income, they may be eligible for foreign tax credits.

F-1 visa holders cannot file 1040; they file 1040NR or 1040-EZ to complete their U.S. tax return. 

Because your wife can't file form 1040, you'll file your joint return together with Sprintax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. I found a similar post regarding h1b and f1 visa married filing jointly, and the answer suggests it's possible. Please let me know if I miss something.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-am-h1b-and-wife-is-on-f1-visa-can-we-file-taxes...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies