• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chandra2
Level 1

I am H1B and wife is on F1 Visa, Can we file taxes MFJ?

I am H1B since Oct 2015 and my wife is on F1 since Aug 2018, we married in June 2019.  

Can we file taxes jointly using MFJ? if Yes, Can I do everything on the TurboTax site?

also, Can I file my wife's college fee for returns?

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file married filing jointly if you make a written election, signed by both of you, on a statement attached to the back of your federal return.  You will need to mail your return; you cannot efile.

You will both need to declare your worldwide income on your tax return.  You can do everything in TurboTax, except to write a short statement outside of TurboTax and print an mail your return.

Please see page 9 of Publication 519, Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident. for the steps you need to take.

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Once you file the election to claim her as a resident, you can claim her college fees you both paid on your joint return.  

@Chandra2

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file married filing jointly if you make a written election, signed by both of you, on a statement attached to the back of your federal return.  You will need to mail your return; you cannot efile.

You will both need to declare your worldwide income on your tax return.  You can do everything in TurboTax, except to write a short statement outside of TurboTax and print an mail your return.

Please see page 9 of Publication 519, Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident. for the steps you need to take.

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

Chandra2
Level 1

Thanks @KarenJ2 

Do you think I can claim my wife's college fee on MFJ? 

I know, when you are an international student, you can not claim college fees on taxes. But in our case, my wife paid for the first half of 2019(Spring 2019) and I paid for the rest of 2019(Fall 2019). Can you shed some light on this, please?

Thank you.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Once you file the election to claim her as a resident, you can claim her college fees you both paid on your joint return.  

@Chandra2

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v