Chandra2

I am H1B and wife is on F1 Visa, Can we file taxes MFJ?

I am H1B since Oct 2015 and my wife is on F1 since Aug 2018, we married in June 2019.  

Can we file taxes jointly using MFJ? if Yes, Can I do everything on the TurboTax site?

also, Can I file my wife's college fee for returns?

KarenJ2

Yes, you can file married filing jointly if you make a written election, signed by both of you, on a statement attached to the back of your federal return.  You will need to mail your return; you cannot efile.

You will both need to declare your worldwide income on your tax return.  You can do everything in TurboTax, except to write a short statement outside of TurboTax and print an mail your return.

Please see page 9 of Publication 519, Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident. for the steps you need to take.

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

LinaJ2020

Once you file the election to claim her as a resident, you can claim her college fees you both paid on your joint return.  

@Chandra2

KarenJ2

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

Chandra2

Thanks @KarenJ2 

Do you think I can claim my wife's college fee on MFJ? 

I know, when you are an international student, you can not claim college fees on taxes. But in our case, my wife paid for the first half of 2019(Spring 2019) and I paid for the rest of 2019(Fall 2019). Can you shed some light on this, please?

Thank you.

LinaJ2020

@Chandra2