Yes, renters qualify for the Michigan Homestead Credit.
You may claim a property tax credit if all of the following apply:
- Your homestead is in Michigan
- You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year
- You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied
- If you own your home, your taxable value is $135,000 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)
- Your total household resources are $60,000 or less (part year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)
Your rent payments are your documentation.
For more information, follow this link: MI Homestead Property Tax Credit
Still have questions?Make a post