CA tax
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

CA tax

I cannot efile because #12 asking for "State wages from your federal Forms W-2, box 16".  I put 0 because I don't have any W2.  I only received EDD 1099G which I tried to put in but it still didn't accept it.  Please help

5 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

CA tax

I recommend reviewing your input into the program to ensure you are only reported your income from your 1099-G.  You will need to verify this information was not entered as wages.


Log back into TurboTax.

  1. Go to the Federal section of the program. 
  2. Select Income & Expenses
  3. Select Job (W-2)
  4. Select the little trash can icon to the right of the applicable W-2 entry if you do not have any wages to report to remove this from your tax return.  This will also remove the error you are receiving.

W-2 deletion


Your 1099-G information should be entered as follows:

  1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Scroll down to All Income and select Unemployment
  3. Select Unemployment and paid family leave
  4. You will be able to enter your information from your Form 1099-G

I have also attached a link with more details on how to locate the information you need from your Form 1099-G.


1099-G input for paid family leave or unemployment


Once you make the corrections above, the error should be gone and you will be able to proceed with your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

CA tax

If I only have 1099-G for unemployment compensation, do I have to fill tax even though I already had tax withheld?  Thank you for your response.

Level 15

CA tax

Yes to see if they took out the right amount or you get a refund.  And now you can exclude 10,200 of unemployment so you may get a refund of the taxes withheld.  And you need to enter the amounts you got for the first 2 rounds of the Stimulus to see if you qualify for more of that.   And maybe for some other reasons.  Are you a dependent?

Level 1

CA tax

You don't have to file your federal tax return if an amount of your unemployment compensation was less than $12,400, however if federal income tax was withheld it is most likely beneficial for you to file your tax return because you could receive your federal tax refund. 

Returning Member

CA tax

yes i am

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings