turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA 568 for a SMLLC (only one) for Tax year 2021 - will Turbotax efile it along with CA state taxes?

Spoiler

Folks,

I am starting a new question here because previous ones have become very confusing with the responses.

My question is simple: 

Will Turbotax 2021 (I have desktop, Home & Business version) efile  CA form 568 for SMLLC along with my California taxes? 

For context, I have only *ONE*  LLC for tax year 2021, which for tax purposes, is a disregarded entity (SMLLC)

I received a YES to the above question (i.e. they said Turbotax  *will* efile CA 568)  from some folks on this forum in another email thread;

However, the confusing part is that, when I look at the PDF that Turbo tax creates for California filing, the instruction page says I need to mail it in US post office along with the Form 3522 for $800 payment and also get the waiver for US mailing (i.e not efiling)

Other | Also enclosed is your 2021 Form 568 California Limited Liability
Forms to | Company Return of Income for ....name of LLC removed ....
Mail | The return should be signed and dated by the sole owner and mailed on
| or before April 18, 2022 to:
| Franchise Tax Board
| PO Box 942857
| Sacramento, CA [removed]
|
| California requires a waiver when Form 568 is not e-filed. Request a
| waiver at webapp.ftb.ca.gov/ewaiver.
|
| Along with the tax return, enclose a check or money order in the
| amount of $800 for the balance of tax due.
|
|
| Also enclosed is California Form 3522, .... name of LLC ...

Any ideas if the efile for CA 568 is still valid for Tax year 2021 for Turbo Tax Home & Business for 2021? 

Thanks,

Mahesh

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

CA 568 for a SMLLC (only one) for Tax year 2021 - will Turbotax efile it along with CA state taxes?

Yes, the Ca-568 can be efiled with Turbo Tax Home and Business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello 

Thanks for your response - Any idea why TurboTax Home & Business continues to print those instructions to US mail the CA 568 form even for tax year 2021? It is very confusing. I would have thought that if the user had a choice to Efile CA 568 along with their CA taxes,  the TurboTax instructions would have some other language indicating the same - i.e. you can choose to  Efile CA 568, or US Mail it at the time of Efiling your CA personal taxes.

Also, I paid the Annual LLC tax $800 online for Year 2022  on FTB website - do I still need to mail the 2022 FTB  3522 voucher with the print out of the online statement indicating the Annual LLC tax for $800 is paid via US MAIL?

Thanks,

Mahesh 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you have already paid 2022 fees, send in the voucher with proof of payment. For your own piece of mind, send in via certified mail. 

As far as mailing the Ca-568, I would mail this in and attach a statement to your return saying that your first year fee is waived and is not due, assuming 2021 is the first year of your LLC. This may be the reason Turbo Tax is requiring you to mail it rather than efile. It's a precautionary measure.

@mbgsvo

andy_iskandar
Returning Member

I received an email confirmation from Turbotax that my  2021 California LLC Filing return was accepted. 

However, 3 weeks later when I checked Turbotax website, I only see Federal tax and California personal tax return have been accepted. When I checked FTB website, it doesn't show that LLC form 568 has been filed.

This year, I did't get instruction to mail the 568 like last year. I used the Turbotax self employed.

Has Turbotax filed form 568 for me? How do I find out for certain that the form 568 has been filed on my behalf?
Thank you.

No, this is not the first time I am filing CA 568, though my previous years (tax year 2020) was mailed by US mail.

Anyway, let me explain what I am seeing.  

1. I am using "TurboTax Home and Business 2021", windows desktop CD
  2. I have exactly ONE California  LLC, which is a SMLLC (disregarded entity)
  3. When I go thru the California State tax returns, and click on 'Business income' which comes after a few screens, it eventually says I need to file  CA 568 form, and then TurboTax shows this message:

"California requires that you e-file Form 568"

E-filing Form 568 is required to complete your single member LLC tax return. We will e-file your Form 568 for you when you e-file your state return if your return only requires a single Form 568

We don't support e-filing Form 568 when you have more than one single member LLC. If you need to file multiple Form 568s, follow the instructions to receive a waiver

So it appears from the above text that TurboTax Home & Business 2021 will efile CA 568 along with my CA state return provided I have exactly one SMLLC

But then why does the PDF generated for instructions for Tax filing, the very first page for California returns which tells me where to mail anything, my estimated taxes, etc., says   "ask for a waiver from FTB for CA 568" (see my first post on this thread for full message)? 

Is that because I have NOT YET efiled at this stage when I generated the PDF, and in case I decide to NOT efile my federal and state, I would have to mail the CA 568?  

Many people on this forum have said that they thought Turbotax E-filed their CA Form 568, but they could find no trace of it in FTB - 

It is all very confusing -

Mahesh

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, California Form 568 is e-filed when you e-file your State Income Tax return with TurboTax.

If you generate a PDF copy of your return, TurboTax includes the instructions for mailing in case you decide to mail your State return instead of e-filing. After you have successfully e-filed your return, these forms may not generate. If they do, you can ignore the instructions for mailing.

Patricia,

Can you confirm two things for this forum:

1)  Which TurboTax software (for tax year 2021) did you use?  My question was specifically about the TurboTax Home and Business, Desktop CD, Tax Year 2021

2) Did you actually call FTB and confirm that the CA 568 was indeed E-filed along with your CA personal taxes? 

Thanks,

Mahesh

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, TurboTax Home & Business will include Form 568 when you e-file. I did not call the state as I have no e-filed California return. My information comes from the TurboTax State tax division, which has confirmed this form is included with an e-filed California return.

Is there a way to confirm Intuit filed my Form 568 for California? I filed on time in April. Both Fed and State were accepted and my tax refunds were dispersed. It's now July and my FTB account doesn't reflect that my 2021 tax return was processed yet. I am a SMLLC (only one). I used Turbo Tax Self-Employed. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Where can we see and print a copy of the Form 568 that was supposedly efiled for California? I can't find it in the PDF

I also have only one disregarded single member LLC. TurboTax Home and Business desktop also informed me it would e-file form 568.

I recently contacted the California FTB and they informed me they have no record of form 568 and to send them a copy. Therefore, it appears from 568 was never e-filed. I will be mailing my form 568 to the FTB instead as I have no choice.

I have a sneaking suspicion from other comments in this thread that many others did not have their form 568 e-filed as well. If that is the case, then TurboTax Home and Business certainly has a bug with e-filing form 568 that others will sadly soon discover.

TomW6

I'm also wondering the same thing. I've saved my filed TurboTax Home & Business return as a PDF, and there is NO form 568 anywhere in this PDF file. When I login to FTB and view the returns filed, 2021 is not in the list. 

I too dont see 568 in my CA return saved as PDF. I had used Turbo Tax Home & Business.  Is there a specific question that needs to be answered certain way that triggers creation and filing of CA-FTB that I may have missed? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This form is not yet available. You can monitor when this will be available by clicking here. @Victor21

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies