Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved states last year, but my company didn't change my home address, so I was paying the wrong state's taxes. How do I file for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I moved states last year, but my company didn't change my home address, so I was paying the wrong state's taxes. How do I file for this?

You'll have to file a part-year resident return in each of the two states (assuming each state has an income tax).  This FAQ explains how to do that in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901227-how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return

You'll receive a refund of the excess withholding from your "old" state, but you'll have to pay your taxes due to the new state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

My new place of residency is FL, so I'm having a hard time filing because their is not state income tax.
TomD8
Level 15

Then you only have to file a part-year resident return for your "old" state.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

In addition would I file a non-resident return also, for that same state?
TomD8
Level 15

No.  The part-year resident return is all you need.  The income you received after you began living in Florida is not taxable by your old state.

But I was still being taxed for Indiana taxes, even though I was living in Florida. So I'm still confused :(
TomD8
Level 15

Indiana will refund any excess taxes withheld.  All you have to do is file that part-year resident Indiana return, using the instructions I gave you.

Okay, Gotcha! Thanks for all your help!
ABC567
Returning Member

Hello, 

I have an even more complicated situation. 

My spouse and I used to live in Ohio together. He did not have any income in Ohio (unemployed), while I worked. He got a job with a multinational firm and moved to Florida to work out of an office there for a client, while I remained in Ohio. He has lived in Florida full time since taking the job minus training in other states, etc. 

His company did not update his address and continued to charge Ohio taxes. We informed the company, and they updated the address to Florida eventually. Until then, however, he paid Ohio taxes. The W2 form showed Ohio and the amount of state taxes that had already been paid in box 15.

We are doing Married Filing Jointly federally, and Ohio requires that that its state return status be the same as the federal return status of married filing jointly.

I have tried the usual solutions:  1)I have included partial year resident data in TurboTax already for my spouse, and this has not changed the amount that is "counted" as an Ohio State taxable wage for our combine income.  2) There is an Ohio state tax section that allows double-taxed income to be "credited," but it was never double-taxed. Florida has no state income, and so there is no credit to be given. 3) I cannot get the company to do a wage reassignment and get them money back from Ohio and issue a W2C, and their company through ADP recommended getting a tax attorney (which would exceed the amount of money that was charged by Ohio). 

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

TomD8
Level 15

@ABC567 

My suggestion: 

On the Ohio return, enter zero OH income for your husband.

Print the return after it's finished.  

Attach a letter explaining the discrepancy between the return and the W-2 information.

Mail the return.  Do not e-file it.

Cross your fingers.

ABC567
Returning Member

Thank you for your suggestion. How do I change the Ohio State Income earned in the state section of the refund when it has been placed via W2 in TurboTax? I appreciate your help. 

The new state doesn't have state taxes taken out. 

State taxes were taken out all year State of Georgia 

I reside in South Dakota no state taxes

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You are a part-year resident of the state of Georgia and a part-year resident of the state of South Dakota.

You will file a part-year resident Georgia state tax return reporting only the income earned when you lived in Georgia.  

All of the Georgia income tax withheld in excess of Georgia state income tax owed will be refunded.

In TurboTax Online, 

• Select My Info down the left side of the screen.
  • Select Edit to the right of your name.
  • Your state of residence on December 31, 2023 will be South Dakota.
  • Answer Yes that you lived in another state, Georgia.
  • If you have a spouse, report the same information for the spouse.

Notify your employer to no longer withhold Georgia state income tax.

@talee5997  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies