turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katzofct

Where do I enter contributions to a 529 plan?

I made contributions to my grandson's 529 plan in another state and want to be able to deduct these. Where / how do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Your contribution isn’t tax-deductible on your federal return, but two-thirds of the states do offer an income-tax deduction for contributions. Most require that you contribute to your own state’s plan to get the break (Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Missouri and Pennsylvania allow deductions for contributions to any state’s plan). But each state also has different rules about who can take the deduction for their contributions.

Many states, such as Ohio, let residents deduct their 529 contributions to the state’s plans even if they are not the account owner. If you live in Ohio and your niece’s parents already have an account for her in that state, for example, you can deduct up to $2,000 you contribute to her account per year (whether filing as single or jointly), and you can apply any contributions above that limit to future years’ taxes. If your niece’s parents don’t have an account for her in your state, you can open one for her yourself. There’s no limit to the number of 529 accounts that people can have for one student, and the accounts don’t need to be in the state where the student lives.

If your state is one of those states that has a 529 plan deduction, TurboTax will prompt you to enter your 529 contributions when you get to the credits/deductions portion of your state tax interview.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

View solution in original post

62 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Your contribution isn’t tax-deductible on your federal return, but two-thirds of the states do offer an income-tax deduction for contributions. Most require that you contribute to your own state’s plan to get the break (Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Missouri and Pennsylvania allow deductions for contributions to any state’s plan). But each state also has different rules about who can take the deduction for their contributions.

Many states, such as Ohio, let residents deduct their 529 contributions to the state’s plans even if they are not the account owner. If you live in Ohio and your niece’s parents already have an account for her in that state, for example, you can deduct up to $2,000 you contribute to her account per year (whether filing as single or jointly), and you can apply any contributions above that limit to future years’ taxes. If your niece’s parents don’t have an account for her in your state, you can open one for her yourself. There’s no limit to the number of 529 accounts that people can have for one student, and the accounts don’t need to be in the state where the student lives.

If your state is one of those states that has a 529 plan deduction, TurboTax will prompt you to enter your 529 contributions when you get to the credits/deductions portion of your state tax interview.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

I am not being prompted to enter my contributions to my child's North Carolina 529. Anyone know why?
dave29

From what I can tell, it's only deductible on state tax returns, not Federal, but I'm no expert.

TurboTax is not prompting for entries on the VA return. Have done this in the past. What is the issue?
phil-wolf

I agree ricklowjunk. i file VA state returns and I wasn't prompted to enter any 529 payments. Frustrating to say the least. No solution from me but i share in your frustration.
jabramble

Also not prompting for Iowa 529 entries on the state return. Frustrating!!

Also not prompting for Montana 529 entries... yes FRUSTRATING.  Also, I am nearly 100% certain Montana is a state that can contribute to ANY states plan and the response above does not indicate as such.  Where is the fix TT??

Colorado allows for a 529 deduction, so I did that.   thanks TURBO'''''

Did the person from Montana ever figure out where to record the 529 contribution?
parky123

Also not prompting in IL
amurat81

not prompting for ca as well
cworkman7

not prompting for IL and it is definitely tax deductible here

not prompting for missouri

The 529 deduction option worked great last year for Arizona, but it's not showing up this year (yet).  Is this a known issue?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies