Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwd003

Roth IRA cont, Entered $2,000, message that only allowed $1,640 of the contri. Changed contribution to $1,640 but when I review Schedule A no deduction was included.

Your Roth IRA too High

Because yur MAGI is $131,230, only 1640 of your 2000 contribution is allowed. …..

I changed my contribution to 1640 but on the schedule A it didn't include 1640 as a Roth IRA.  Why not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cindy0H

Roth IRA cont, Entered $2,000, message that only allowed $1,640 of the contri. Changed contribution to $1,640 but when I review Schedule A no deduction was included.

Your Roth contribution is not on the schedule A. 

When you're filling out your taxes, the Internal Revenue Service tends to pry for extra details of your financial life, but one thing you won't report on your Form 1040 tax return is your Roth individual retirement account contributions. Generally speaking, you will not need to report your Roth IRA contributions on IRS Form 1040. That being said, exceptions may arise if you are claiming the Retirement Savings Credit.

Roth IRAs offer after-tax savings, which means your contributions won't get you a tax deduction when you make them, as traditional IRA contributions do. Since the contribution doesn't reduce your taxable income, it doesn't get reported on your tax return as a deduction.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

mwd003

I don't understand your answer.  Turbo Tax implied I could get a deduction for an IRA but when I enter the amount I'm not getting a deduction.  Is there a way I can get I can call to discuss?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies