Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eyorty

Will I owe a penalty since I turned 70 1/2 in February 2017, but did not take my RMD until mid-April 2017? If so, how can I request a waiver due to my mistake?

I turned 70 at the end of August 2016, so 70 1/2 near end of February 2017.  Is the RMD required by April 1 of 2017, or by end of 2017?  If it is required by April 1, 2017, and I take it now (mid-April), I would want to request a waiver of the penalty caused by my misunderstanding.  If necessary, how would I go about that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Will I owe a penalty since I turned 70 1/2 in February 2017, but did not take my RMD until mid-April 2017? If so, how can I request a waiver due to my mistake?

Your first required minimum distribution must be taken by April 1 of the year following the calendar year in which you reach age 70½.  Since you reached age 70 1/2 in 2017, you have until April 1, 2018 to take the first distribution.  

Keep in mind that if you wait until 2018 to take the first distribution, you'll be required to take a second RMD for 2018, so it may be preferable to take the first RMD in 2017.  The IRS explains:

The first year following the year you reach age 70½ you will generally have two required distribution dates: an April 1 withdrawal (for the year you turn 70½), and an additional withdrawal by December 31 (for the year following the year you turn 70½). To avoid having both of these amounts included in your income for the same year, you can make your first withdrawal by December 31 of the year you turn 70½ instead of waiting until April 1 of the following year.

Example: John reached age 70½ on August 20, 2013. He must receive his 2013 required minimum distribution by April 1, 2014, based on his 2012 year-end balance. John must receive his 2014 required minimum distribution by December 31, 2014, based on his 2013 year-end balance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

Your first required minimum distribution must be taken by April 1 of the year following the calendar year in which you reach age 70½.  Since you reached age 70 1/2 in 2017, you have until April 1, 2018 to take the first distribution.  

Keep in mind that if you wait until 2018 to take the first distribution, you'll be required to take a second RMD for 2018, so it may be preferable to take the first RMD in 2017.  The IRS explains:

The first year following the year you reach age 70½ you will generally have two required distribution dates: an April 1 withdrawal (for the year you turn 70½), and an additional withdrawal by December 31 (for the year following the year you turn 70½). To avoid having both of these amounts included in your income for the same year, you can make your first withdrawal by December 31 of the year you turn 70½ instead of waiting until April 1 of the following year.

Example: John reached age 70½ on August 20, 2013. He must receive his 2013 required minimum distribution by April 1, 2014, based on his 2012 year-end balance. John must receive his 2014 required minimum distribution by December 31, 2014, based on his 2013 year-end balance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies