turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMD CSA 1099R how much of the amount is RMD?

How do I answer the follow-up question after "Is all or part of the amount an RMD" (YES) and then it asks how much of the amount is an RMD?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your entire amount is RMD.  

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions. All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  You may simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your entire amount is RMD.  

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions. All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  You may simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

Thanks. Great and fast response. I was not sure if all of the distribution is considered an RMD, so will answer Yes.

Yes, I am 80 years old. However this is the first year I've seen the term RMD so different then previous years. Thank you.

This was a troubling area for me as well.  Thank you so much for the clarity on this issue.

Thank you, I was struggling with this issue as well.

FAA1
Returning Member

I learned a great deal from this session with "Community".  I have filed Tax Act for the past 8-10 years. NEVER was my CSA Pension referred to as an RMD withdrawal.  I filed both (income from Pension 1099R and withdrawal of RMD from a Traditional IRA)  Whikle Turbo Tax questions were confusing, they were certainly thorough and caused me to dig into the IRS regulations.  Thanks Turbo Tax Experts and "Community">

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies