Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avo
Level 3

What do i have to do after i enter a contribution in traditional IRA to lower my tax?

we want to contribute $500 to the traditional IRA to help bring the tax owed down. i input the contribution number into turbotax. but what do i have to do next? do i go to a bank or somewhere to open an IRA account? have to do it by apr 17? then report it to IRS? how does IRS know when i open my account? i'm not sure about next steps. thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do i have to do after i enter a contribution in traditional IRA to lower my tax?

You will need to go to a financial institution such as a bank, brokerage firm, or mutual fund company such as Vanguard or Fidelity and open and fund an IRA account by April 17, 2018.

You report the transaction to the IRS by entering your contribution into TurboTax and need not otherwise report the account or document it until such time as the IRS asks for it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will need to go to a financial institution such as a bank, brokerage firm, or mutual fund company such as Vanguard or Fidelity and open and fund an IRA account by April 17, 2018.

You report the transaction to the IRS by entering your contribution into TurboTax and need not otherwise report the account or document it until such time as the IRS asks for it.

avo
Level 3

thanks for the advice.

Your welcome and thanks for choosing TurboTax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies