turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Danalyst

How do I reverse a promised but now impossible IRA contribution for a filed return?

I entered a future (pre-4/15) IRA contribution on my (filed) return but now cannot complete that.

Do I need to amend my return to correct this, or will the IRS detect the lack of a contribution post 4/15 and automatically calculate the higher tax due? In other words, can I do nothing and just wait for a tax-due bill from the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I reverse a promised but now impossible IRA contribution for a filed return?

If you have already filed, you'll need to amend your tax return. The IRS has no way to find out in the next few months that you did not make the contribution to the IRA. But they will find out next year or later if they match form 5498 that your bank or broker will file for tax year 2019. And then you'll have to pay back taxes, interest and penalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed, you'll need to amend your tax return. The IRS has no way to find out in the next few months that you did not make the contribution to the IRA. But they will find out next year or later if they match form 5498 that your bank or broker will file for tax year 2019. And then you'll have to pay back taxes, interest and penalties.

Danalyst

Can I amend the return prior to April 15?
Danalyst

Thanks for this quick and helpful reply.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You have time to amend. You can also amend after April 15.

you should amend  and pay before April 15 to avoid penalties and interest.
Danalyst

THANKS, ALL
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies