Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jterry1

If you rollover a pension to a ira do I have to claim on my tax return

I received a pension when I retired in October. I rolled it over to an IRA with the same financial institution. Do I have to claim the monies on my tax return ?? I did receive a 1099-r ??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You must report a direct rollover of an eligible rollover distribution. A direct rollover is the direct payment of the distribution from a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, or a governmental section 457(b) plan to a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or other eligible retirement plan. Your 1099-R should  have Code G in Box 7.  TurboTax will guide you through entering your 1099-R, so that it is reported, but not taxable.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You must report a direct rollover of an eligible rollover distribution. A direct rollover is the direct payment of the distribution from a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, or a governmental section 457(b) plan to a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or other eligible retirement plan. Your 1099-R should  have Code G in Box 7.  TurboTax will guide you through entering your 1099-R, so that it is reported, but not taxable.

why is included in my total income it has put us into another tax bracket

When I entered the the amount even though it has a Distribution Code G  it was included in my total income ...Why? 

Where are you seeing it included?  Did you check your actual 1040 line 4b or 4c for any taxable amount?  It should say Rollover by it.  

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 and make sure it’s right.   For 1099R check 1040 line 4b/4d for any taxable amount.  If it was a rollover it should say ROLLOVER by it. 

ok line 4b or c says rollover but I'm showing other weird things like..schedule 2.. 18 k in IRA---Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, and 

19I. IRA deduction   7K  Alimony Paid Smart Worksheet---which does not apply--???

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

It seems you entered it as a traditional IRA contribution and it is causing an excess contribution penalty. Please make sure you did not enter the rollover in the IRA contribution section. Only enter it in the 1099-R section.

@pam35337

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies