turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

popi41

Can I change/correct a value in Block 5 of a 1099-R to reflect what I actually paid?

My (Statement of Annuity Paid) 1099-R indicates in block 5 that I contributed $100 when I actually paid in $200. Can I change and submit that corrected value? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can I change/correct a value in Block 5 of a 1099-R to reflect what I actually paid?

You can only change this if you ask the payer to correct the Form 1099-R, they refuse, an you then submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) substantiating that you paid $100 rather than $200.  Increasing the box 5 amount generally correspondingly decreases the box 2a amount.

Note that box 5 generally only shows the amount of nontaxable return of premiums that are included in the gross distribution.  If this is reporting some amount of regular periodic payments made to you, each distribution contains only a portion of your basis in premiums paid.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

You can only change this if you ask the payer to correct the Form 1099-R, they refuse, an you then submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) substantiating that you paid $100 rather than $200.  Increasing the box 5 amount generally correspondingly decreases the box 2a amount.

Note that box 5 generally only shows the amount of nontaxable return of premiums that are included in the gross distribution.  If this is reporting some amount of regular periodic payments made to you, each distribution contains only a portion of your basis in premiums paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies