chaelpi

My employer has listed my social security number wrong - what do I do?

My employer has my social security number listed incorrectly on my W-2 (one number is wrong), and so I can't import the form into TurboTax. What do I do?

Melaine

You are correct, you will not be able to import your W-2 if your social security is incorrect.  You will need to contact your employer or human resource department to have that fixed.  However, you can still file your taxes by entering the information by hand (get a copy of your W-2), instead of importing.  But it is important that you have your social security number correct, if not, you will not receive credit for your social security or medicare taxes you paid for 2016.  Also, the IRS will not be able to match your income with your employer.

Melaine