Once you input your 1099-NEC, you should answer all of the questions after the input screen so it flows through to your Schedule C. If it has not been assigned, TurboTax will give you an error message.
To assign your 1099-NEC to a Schedule C, please follow the steps below:
- Open your return.
- Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
- Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results.
- Click Edit next to your 1099-NEC.
- On the page titled Guess what? You can deduct expenses for the example work choose Yes, I have expenses to deduct.
- On the page titled Self-employed 1099-NEC Income select the Schedule C you are inputting this income for. If this is a new Schedule C for this year, you can add a new business on this screen.