Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have to state the total in my Roth IRA as of Dec. 31, 2018?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, if TurboTax asks for your year-end balance in Roth IRAs you must enter it.  TurboTax will ask for your year-end balance in Roth IRAs if your entries show that you have an excess contribution in your Roth IRAs.  The excess-contribution penalty is calculated on the lesser of the amount of the excess and the year-end balance.

Examine Schedule 4 line 59 for any penalty from Form 5329.

I'm not aware of any other situation where TurboTax will ask for or need your year-end balance.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, if TurboTax asks for your year-end balance in Roth IRAs you must enter it.  TurboTax will ask for your year-end balance in Roth IRAs if your entries show that you have an excess contribution in your Roth IRAs.  The excess-contribution penalty is calculated on the lesser of the amount of the excess and the year-end balance.

Examine Schedule 4 line 59 for any penalty from Form 5329.

I'm not aware of any other situation where TurboTax will ask for or need your year-end balance.

Simply to track your Roth for you.

A Roth IRA contribution does not actually go on a tax return, but you should enter it anyway to:

1) Tell you if your income qualifies you for a contribution and warn you if it does not.
2) Check if your income exceeds the limit to contribute to a Roth.
3) Track your contribution year-to-year if you use TurboTax every year.
4) Add the Retirement Savers Credit if you qualify.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

But in my case I no longer work so I don't make contributions; I don't see why they need to know how much is in there. Thanks.

I do not recall any such questing unless yiu are entering a Roth contribution.

The 1099-R interview for a Roth distribution will ask for prior years Roth contributions to determine the taxable amount if under age 59 1/2.   If over 59 1/2 you can ignore the question.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies