Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmary4

Why did i receive a check from my retirement plan and why am i having to pay taxes on it when i haven't even cashed it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why did i receive a check from my retirement plan and why am i having to pay taxes on it when i haven't even cashed it?

We do not know why you received a check from your retirement plan----ask the custodian of the plan why.  What kind of retirement plan?    Did you leave an employer with whom you had a plan?    When you leave an employer with whom you have a retirement plan you have an amount of time during which to roll over your retirement plan to a new plan or to cash it out---if you do not do anything then they might send you the money since you did not express your preference for what to do.    How long ago did you receive the check?  Not cashing it yet is not relevant.   The money in a retirement account is taxable when you take it out of the plan---or when they send you the money unless you roll it over to a new plan before it is too late.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you have a withdrawal or distribution, you will get a 1099–R. The withdrawal or distribution is taxable even if you did not cash the check. It is taxable because you have received the money and could cash the check at any time even though you have not done so.  if you are under age 59 1/2, you are also subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

I don’t know why your plan made a distribution to you but I can guess at one common reason. Sometimes, when an employee leaves a employer and has only a small amount of money in the plan, the maintenance fees that the employer hast to pay to maintain the account of the ex-employee are so high that the employer would rather kick you out of the plan.  When this happens, the plan would be required to send you a letter informing you of this situation and informing you of your options.  You would have had 60 days to roll over the money into another qualified retirement account, either by opening a qualifying IRA at a private bank or brokerage, or by rolling over the money into the retirement account of your new employer. In this case, the money becomes part of your current retirement funds and is not taxable until you withdraw it in retirement.  Since it has obviously been more than 60 days and you did not roll the money over into a new qualified account, then it is treated as a fully taxable distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies