Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While checking my state (Iowa) return the system is telling me "Dividend Income Worksheet: Payer has too many characters." System doesn't take me anywhere to fix. Help?

In years past the system gave same complaints and would take me to a form where I could truncate the names to make them shorter.  It's not doing that now.  Is there a bug in the workflow for 2023 state returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

While checking my state (Iowa) return the system is telling me "Dividend Income Worksheet: Payer has too many characters." System doesn't take me anywhere to fix. Help?

Go to the dividend reporting in the federal return and truncate the name. 

huntdan

mine was a vanguard issue, go into your dividend section and shorten the vanguard name.  

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

The part that is too long is the payer of the dividends. It allows 15 characters (including spaces).

Go back to your original 1099-DIV input entry and edit it to change the name of the payer to 15 characters or less. if you imported it, delete and re-enter it manually. 

Click here to enter your original 1099-DIV entry in your Federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, This information helped me so much ❤️

Linda is a life saver

I truncated the Dividend payers names to 15 <. Still get the error and it's stuck on my suffix , but won't take me to what it's saying is the error. I had to create a separate file for Iowa because I had to truncate the names to only the TIN. Still can't get past this error.

mrncain27

This did not work for me and I still can't submit.  Any other recommendations?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

After doing everything Linda said above, if it is still not working, follow these steps:

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form 1099-DIV
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open
  5. Enter the information again.

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form 1099-DIV, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.

@cbeneke1958  @mrncain27 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kmschulte16
Returning Member

I've tried editing the name and deleting and re-adding the DIV file and neither worked for me....

mrncain27

I tried everything as well.   Nothing worked.  I had to print and file by mail which is  irritating. 

bot207

Error Message: Dividend Income Entry: payer has too many characters

Fixed:

Changed National Financial Services LLC to Nat. Fin. Ser. LLC to shorten the name

Changed Charles Schwab & CO. INC.  to Charles Schwab to shorten name

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies