Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blissra

which form?

I have retired and moved to Mexico. Still have rental income, retirement income, and a Roth account. How does the move affect the form I should use? Used the self-employed version in the past.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

which form?

As a US citizen where you live does not affect the type of tax return you file.  The Form 1040 is used.  However, if you have any type of foreign earned income then that is reported on a Form 2555, which is part of and included with your personal tax return.

If you are no longer self-employed for all of 2019 you would need the Premier online edition to report your rental income and expenses on Schedule E along with your other income - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Note that you must have a US credit card with a US billing address to make purchases on the TurboTax website.  Also if you are due a tax refund the refund can only be direct deposited into a US bank located in the US.  Otherwise a refund check will be mailed to the address entered on your tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

which form?

As a US citizen where you live does not affect the type of tax return you file.  The Form 1040 is used.  However, if you have any type of foreign earned income then that is reported on a Form 2555, which is part of and included with your personal tax return.

If you are no longer self-employed for all of 2019 you would need the Premier online edition to report your rental income and expenses on Schedule E along with your other income - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Note that you must have a US credit card with a US billing address to make purchases on the TurboTax website.  Also if you are due a tax refund the refund can only be direct deposited into a US bank located in the US.  Otherwise a refund check will be mailed to the address entered on your tax return.

blissra

which form?

Thanks for the quick response. I had assumed all those points you made. You have confirmed it for me. Prospero Ano Nuevo!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies