turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter my 1099-C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ddaven12

Please follow the steps below to enter the 1099-C in TurboTax Online:

• Go to Federal Taxes 
  • Next go to Wages & Income 
  • Then scroll down to Less Common Income 
  • Click on the Start/Revisit button next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click on the Start/Revisit button next to Cancellation of debt (Form 1099-C) or the abandonment and/or acquisition of secured property (1099-A)

Please follow the steps below to enter the 1099-C in the TurboTax CD/Download software:

• Go to Federal Taxes (Personal in Home & Business)
  • Next go to Wages & Income or Personal Income (whichever is applicable).
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income section
  • Click on the Start/Revisit button next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click on the Start/Revisit button next to Cancellation of debt (Form 1099-C) or the abandonment and/or acquisition of secured property (1099-A)
Williampardick
Returning Member

She was great and so patient

fguillen55
Returning Member

I'm doing my 2019 taxes not 2020.

I was able to select the Jump to link to download the 1099-C. I answered the the following questions

1. On the Tell us about your canceled debt screen, select Yes.
  2. Select the type of canceled debt (main home or other) and then select Continue.

However, it did not take me to where I need to enter the information from the 1099-C. Instead it took me back to Wages and Income. I went back to "Less Common Income, clicked on "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and again, it took me back to questions 1 and 2 above.

I need your assistance with this matter. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks.

Are you using the Online version or the Desktop program?  Online is ONLY for 2020.

So you need to be using the Desktop program installed on your computer.  On Windows or Mac?  What Turbo Tax version do you have?  You might need to update it.  

fguillen55
Returning Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm using the desktop program installed on my computer. I'm using turbotax Premier for Tax Year 2019.

thetav101

I do not see a place to add the TIN from Discover card services.  It doesn't make sense, how do they know I paid the debt?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

@thetav101. To clarify, the 1099-C is a cancellation of debt from Discover Card?  Are you saying you paid the debt?? If not, then the amount of the 1099-C is taxable income.

If this is the case, it is not necessary for IRS to know the TIN for Discover Card nor do they care that you paid the debt. Discover Card canceled your debt, issued the 1099-C, and now you need to report it as taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies