Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pala

Where do I enter in Turbotax that I am not covered by employer sponsored retirement plan in TurboTax

Hi, Im having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter in Turbotax that I am not covered by employer sponsored retirement plan in TurboTax

Please double check your W-2 entry if box 13 retirement plan is checked or box 12 has an entry indicating an retirement plan.

@pala

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “W-2”
  2. Click on “Jump to W-2"​​​​​​
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pala

Helped by the turbotax support: I had checked 401(k) and Roth 401(k) under Less Common Business Situations>Self employed retirement. It doesn't go there. 

None of the above solutions work for me. 

I am self-employed, not covered by a retirement (but wife is). Our AGI is well below the $198,000, so I believe I should be getting the full deduction for my IRA (7000). 

In the IRA questionnaire, the page saying "Retirement Plan Coverage" does not come up.

Instead, it tells me that both me and my wife are covered by a retirement plan at work, and that I can only deduct $1930.

In TurboTax, how do I change whether I am covered by a retirement plan at work? I have no W-2 form, and no SEP (I only have traditional IRA).

@michtrack wrote:

None of the above solutions work for me. 

I am self-employed, not covered by a retirement (but wife is). Our AGI is well below the $198,000, so I believe I should be getting the full deduction for my IRA (7000). 

In the IRA questionnaire, the page saying "Retirement Plan Coverage" does not come up.

Instead, it tells me that both me and my wife are covered by a retirement plan at work, and that I can only deduct $1930.

In TurboTax, how do I change whether I am covered by a retirement plan at work? I have no W-2 form, and no SEP (I only have traditional IRA).

Covered by a retirement plan at work is usually indicated by box 13 on your W-2.

Make sure the W-2 (s) were entered for the correct spouse.
  Make sure that the IRA contribution is for the correct spouse.

Check your W-2 box 12 also.

TurboTax makes that determination if any of the following are true:

1) Box 13 (retirement plan) on your (or spouses) W-2 is checked,
2) Box 12 on your (or spouses) W-2 contains codes D, E, F, S, or AA/
3) You answered “yes” to the “Are you covered by a Retirement Plan at work” in the interview.
4) You have a self-employed retirement plan.

Look at the "IRA Contribution Worksheet"   line 10 and see if it is checked for you and the contribution is in the correct column for Taxpayer and Spouse.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks. Box 13 on my wife's W-2 is checked. I have no W-2s. If I'm reading you right, that determines TurboTax saying that I am covered by a retirement plan and therefore don't get the full deduction. Where I'm confused is why that doesn't match what the IRS is saying:

<<Couples who are married filing jointly can take the full IRA deduction if neither spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work.2 If one spouse participates in a plan, then these income restrictions apply:

• A full deduction is available if your modified AGI is $198,000 or less for 2021 ($196,000 for 2020).>>

I know you can't offer tax advice, but is this a glitch in the TurboTax program? (FYI--our AGI is 114K).

Like I said above - be sure the W-2's were entered for the correct spouse.    Something was entered incorrectly.

And Look at the "IRA Contribution Worksheet" line 10 and see if it is checked for you and the contribution is in the correct column for Taxpayer and Spouse.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks... that was it.

I found it there too. My W-2 had no entries in Box 13, but Turbotax had indicated I was covered by a retirement plan at work somehow. Once I clicked it off, I was able to make a traditional IRA contribution and save on taxes. 

In a prior version of Turbotax (February 2022), I found that option there. However, with the recent update, I don't get the option to specify that I am not covered by a retirement plan at work.  Looks like the option may have been programmed out. Are you still able to get to that question?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The question about being covered by a retirement plan at work will come up in the IRA Contributions section of your return.  That information is needed to determine your contribution limits.

@RetinSix

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem where I cannot inform TurboTax that I am NOT covered by any employer sponsored retirement plan (I am retired and have no employer)....  I did see that question about a sponsored plan once when working with the software, but it no longer comes up.  One time I saw the tax deduction for the IRA but when I reopened the software it was lost and my tax burden increased.  HELP!

I had the same think happen.  I am retired so have no plan, it is not checked on my W-2, but it IS checked in the software.  This may be a bug in the software

@Pete7566   You are retired?  Do you have any Earned Income from working?  Like from self employment?  You need EARNED income from Wages or a Net Profit on schedule C to contribute to an IRA.  

Thanks for the quick reply.  I do have taxable earned income from bonuses earned when working.  I have a W-2 showing that income.   Great question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies