ktakeo

When TT is asking if I made a contribution based on last month rule, does in mean a last month rule contribution in 2015?

I was enrolled in an HDHP as of December 1, 2016 and made a contribution based on last month rule but my understanding is I don't have to pay penalty if I were to remain in the same plan in 2017

PaulaM

That is correct. You will see the question again next year when you file your 2017 return. Answer would be 'yes' for last month of 2016, but no penalty will be calculated if you maintain HDHP coverage for all of 2017. 

The question you are seeing now is referring to 2015. Answer 'No' if you did not contribute to an HSA in December of 2015.

PaulaM

ktakeo

I hope TT is making it clear when it asks if last month rule contribution was made.
PaulaM

It is a little confusing. I'll pass your feedback on.