turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktakeo

When TT is asking if I made a contribution based on last month rule, does in mean a last month rule contribution in 2015?

I was enrolled in an HDHP as of December 1, 2016 and made a contribution based on last month rule but my understanding is I don't have to pay penalty if I were to remain in the same plan in 2017
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

When TT is asking if I made a contribution based on last month rule, does in mean a last month rule contribution in 2015?

That is correct. You will see the question again next year when you file your 2017 return. Answer would be 'yes' for last month of 2016, but no penalty will be calculated if you maintain HDHP coverage for all of 2017. 

The question you are seeing now is referring to 2015. Answer 'No' if you did not contribute to an HSA in December of 2015.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct. You will see the question again next year when you file your 2017 return. Answer would be 'yes' for last month of 2016, but no penalty will be calculated if you maintain HDHP coverage for all of 2017. 

The question you are seeing now is referring to 2015. Answer 'No' if you did not contribute to an HSA in December of 2015.

ktakeo

I hope TT is making it clear when it asks if last month rule contribution was made.
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

It is a little confusing. I'll pass your feedback on.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies