vauter-777

What should I do - end of return says I cannot file without 8915-S or 8915-T retirement distributions for disasters when I am filing with a standard deduction?

Joint return

Coleen3

The (T) or (S) refers to Taxpayer or Spouse.

Form 8915 Qualified 2016 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments is required if you had either of these circumstances:

Use Form 8915A if you were adversely affected by a 2016 disaster and you received a distribution that qualifies for favorable tax treatment.

Use Form 8915B if you were adversely affected by a 2017 disaster and you received a distribution that qualifies for favorable tax treatment.

For more information see:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8915-a-and-8915-b

when you entered the 1099-Rs did you indicate the distribution was due to a qualified disaster ?   

If so that form is not yet ready ... looks like 2/28   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-perso...>
Coleen3

For more information see:

svansickle2

I was not effected by any disaster in2016 or 2017 or any other year. I indicated on my return that I was not effected,  but it will not let me file.  I did not receive any distributions.

DMarkM1

1. Go back into the "Income & Expenses" tab and edit the "IRA, 401K, Pension, Retirement...1099-R" entries.

2. Be sure in the follow on questions concerning "Qualified Disaster Distributions" you enter "NO" for the questions and there are no amounts in any blocks.  

3.  You could even click in the boxes and be sure to hit the "Delete" and Backspace" keys a few times to make sure there are no stray spaces in them. 

4.  You will get questions for you and your spouse, if applicable, and for tax years 2016 and 2017.  So up to 8 questions. 

5.  Once you "Wrap Up Income", you may also get another question about being affected by a disaster. 

6.  Be sure to select "No" as appropriate, there as well.

ergoshift

Thanks, I have answered no every time and still I am stuck needing the 8915. Any other suggestions?

ErnieS0

TurboTax may have created a Form 8915 if you accidentally answered YES that you took a disaster distribution and changed your answer.

If you don't need Form 8915 you can delete it.

1. Click Tax Tools in the left column
  2. Click Tools
  3. Select Delete a Form in Tools Center
  4. Scroll down to Form 8915 and delete
  5. Click Continue With My Return in the lower right when you are finished.

There are several Form 8915s to cover disaster distributions. 

Use Form 8915-F to report:

• Qualified 2020 disaster distributions made in 2021 (coronavirus-related distributions can't be made after December 30, 2020);
  • Repayments of qualified 2020 disaster distributions;
  • Income in 2021 and later years from qualified 2020 and later disaster distributions; and
  • Qualified distributions received on January 1, 2021, for the Washington (8593-DR-WA) disaster.
Tanble1uze

Okay, thank you so much for that information since I too am stuck! I am being informed to wait for form 8915-T. But i want to confirm if we received any CARES Act monies and Covid-19/Stimulus monies from 2019-2021,then we must opt "YES", therefore we must file the 8915-T form? Please advise

AmyC

Yes, If you took money out of a retirement plan due to COVID and you are paying taxes over a 3 year period and need the form 8915. If you just got stimulus money, it is not related.

@Tanble1uze

Tanble1uze

Thank you so much for your response! I don't ever wanna lie to IRS, so I try my best to follow the rules and laws! But sometimes the definition can be very vague, so instead of guessing....I'd rather not file and do my research and thankfully, i'd found ya! God bless ya! Now i will file! Mahalo nui loa! Grace