Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file taxes in MN if I do not meet the income threshold to be required to file as an active duty service member?

"Minnesota residents are allowed to exclude active duty military pay for services performed in Minnesota when determining if they meet the Minnesota individual income tax filing requirement." The minimum filing requirement for a single person under 65 is $10,350.  All of my income is from active duty military pay.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Do I need to file taxes in MN if I do not meet the income threshold to be required to file as an active duty service member?

What is your State of Legal Residence (your SLR)?  In what state were you stationed in 2016?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

What is your State of Legal Residence (your SLR)?  In what state were you stationed in 2016?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

SLR is MN. I was stationed in CA during 2016
TomD8
Level 15

MN does not tax active duty military pay.  If all your 2016 income was active duty military pay, you do not have to file a MN tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies