Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the" Less Other Cafe 125" line item under my 401k amount on my W2. Is it deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

What is the" Less Other Cafe 125" line item under my 401k amount on my W2. Is it deductible?

"Cafe 125" stands for IRS regulation code section 125 regarding tax-free cafeteria plans.

These cafeteria plans allow employees to set aside pre-tax income for certain employer-offered benefits. Benefits provided by plans covered under section 125 include adoption and dependent care assistance, health insurance, 401k and group term life insurance policies. They are called cafeteria plans because employees are given a list of benefits to choose from, similar to a cafeteria-style menu.

Some benefits not covered by section 125 include: education assistance, Archer Medical Savings Accounts, meals and transportation benefits.

See Original Post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And no it is not deductible.  It already came out of your checks pretax meaning it wasn't included in your income so you can't deduct it again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies