Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the IRS address to submit Form 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DallasM

For a Form 8606, you would send it to the same IRS address as you would for a Form 1040.

That address is based on your state. Please visit the link provided below to find the address to send your Form 8606 into:
(As a side note- the IRS website will say it is for forms "1040 and 1040X"- do not mind that. It is the same address you will send your Form 8606 into).

https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1040

I hope this information guides you in a positive direction!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DallasM

For a Form 8606, you would send it to the same IRS address as you would for a Form 1040.

That address is based on your state. Please visit the link provided below to find the address to send your Form 8606 into:
(As a side note- the IRS website will say it is for forms "1040 and 1040X"- do not mind that. It is the same address you will send your Form 8606 into).

https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1040

I hope this information guides you in a positive direction!

towne-cox

We have the same problem, did not get this form submitted with the original filing. Do we have to put something with it, cover letter, etc.?

Did you find answer to this?

@towne-cox - didn't you read the answer above?   Click the link in the answer to get the address.  It depends where you live.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm wondering if I need to send anything with the form. There is also a $50 late penalty in my case. Should I just send a form and a check to the filing address?

No.   Don't send any money.  You could attach a statement as to why the form is late.   The IRS might not (probably will not) apply the penalty. If they do, they will bill you.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
enjrc
Returning Member

The IRS address to mail form 1040 is different from the address to mail form 1040X; Which address do we mail form 8606 to?

@enjrc The 8606 instructions say to send the 8606 to the same address that you would send a 1040 form - see the link above for  the address.

Hi, for my 1040, because I enclosed a check, I sent it to the PO Box in Hartford (I'm in NY). So for the form 8606, there is no payment, yet the instructions say "mail it to where you would mail the 1040", would that be the PO Box in Hartford, or the PO Box in Kansas City (the address for returns without payment)? Thanks!

dmertz
Level 15

jwandjenny, if you are sending a Form 8606 without payment, you would send it to the same address as you would send a Form 1040 without payment, Kansas City in your case.

Hi, 

I have 8606 for 95 and 96 to report.

Do I send both forms in the same envelope and how should I send the letter so that I know  they receive my letter.

Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

I would send all in the same envelope so that they are processed together and you get only one potential bill for the combined late filing fees.

This blog advises to submit each item individually, and to use certified mail as proof of delivery.

https://www.chamberlainlaw.com/tax-blawg/how-do-you-know-the-irs-received-what-you-sent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies