turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took out a hardship withdrawal from my 401K from Hurricane Florence but it's not listed as an approved disaster yet. How do I have the penalty waived?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I took out a hardship withdrawal from my 401K from Hurricane Florence but it's not listed as an approved disaster yet. How do I have the penalty waived?

You don't, yet.  Until Congress passes a law allowing this to be treated as a qualified disaster distribution, the distribution is subject to an early-distribution penalty.  If Congress passes such a law after you file, you'll be able to amend your 2018 tax return to claim the exemption.  H.R.536 - Hurricane Florence Tax Relief Act is currently in committee.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You don't, yet.  Until Congress passes a law allowing this to be treated as a qualified disaster distribution, the distribution is subject to an early-distribution penalty.  If Congress passes such a law after you file, you'll be able to amend your 2018 tax return to claim the exemption.  H.R.536 - Hurricane Florence Tax Relief Act is currently in committee.

Thanks!  It did say that I didn't owe any taxes on the money that I took out, but why then did it make my refund go down $3K?
dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?
dmertz
Level 15

I have no idea what TurboTax was trying to tell you when it indicated that you didn't owe any taxes on the money.  It may have been referring to not owning any "additional" taxes if you mistakenly reported this as a 2017 Qualified Disaster Distribution.  The distribution is certainly subject to ordinary income tax and should be included on line 4b of Form 1040.

I suggest requesting a filing extension and seeing if Congress acts before the October 15, 2019 extended filing deadline.  Filing now would require you to pay the 10% early-distribution penalty and amend when if and when the law is passed to make this distribution a Qualified Disaster Distribution.

If I went ahead and filed and they made it a qualified disaster, would I be credited or refunded the 10%?
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, this would be refunded upon filing the amended tax return.  If the bill becomes law as currently written, this income will also be able to be spread over 3 tax years should you choose to do so, so you might be able to get back more with the amendment of your 2018 tax return than just the penalty but have to include more in income on your 2019 and 2020 tax returns.

Ok.  Thanks for all the help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies