turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is Blended Tax Rate? I got 14.1%. My taxable income is $31,000ish. Why not 12% (Tax Bracket rate)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

What is Blended Tax Rate? I got 14.1%. My taxable income is $31,000ish. Why not 12% (Tax Bracket rate)?

A blended tax rate also known as the effective tax rate is arrived at any number of factors. The effective tax rate for individuals is the average rate at which their earned income, such as wages, and unearned income, such as stock dividends, are taxed. If you received income from a variety of things like stocks and bonds, interest, dividends or self-employment, this may all play a role in determining your blended tax rate. It is hard to tell though without knowing what type of income you received during the year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

26 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Your blended tax rate is the amount of tax you paid (or will pay) for the year, divided by your adjusted gross income (AGI).  The 12% you mention is your marginal tax rate, it is the rate at which the last dollar you earned was taxed.  

Where can I find the Blended Tax Rate table?

I found the link was told me my tax amount is $3611.

https://www.efile.com/calculate-your-income-tax-rate-by-bracket/

Taxturbo tells me my tax amount is $4456.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

A blended tax rate also known as the effective tax rate is arrived at any number of factors. The effective tax rate for individuals is the average rate at which their earned income, such as wages, and unearned income, such as stock dividends, are taxed. If you received income from a variety of things like stocks and bonds, interest, dividends or self-employment, this may all play a role in determining your blended tax rate. It is hard to tell though without knowing what type of income you received during the year. 

The link below tells me that my Effective Tax Rate is 11.39%.

https://www.efile.com/calculate-your-income-tax-rate-by-bracket/

kol77

How is my blended tax rate 52.8% according to TurboTax Deluxe? This seems outrageous! I made considerably less money in 2019 compared to 2018, yet TTD is showing me a higher tax liability, in addition to a ridiculously high blended tax rate. ( I made less than $17k in 2019)

britt508

Wondering the same thing - my blended tax rate this year says 21.3% and my tax liability has more than doubled in the last year. We only made $3500 more in taxable income and are nowhere near a higher tax bracket. This makes zero sense. 

(Deleted by poster--me)

Deleted by Poster (me)

britt508

I’m actually nowhere near that income. I did figure out a few things though. Apparently this year they are putting your total tax liability and THEN subtracting the credits a few lines later. So our liability only went up about $1200 instead of doubled. The reason for this (from my understanding of what my CPA friend told me) is that in the 12% tax bracket last year they weren’t taxing the first $19k of your income, this year that number changed to $9700, so they are affectively taxing almost $10k more of your income without “increasing” taxes. 

I am afraid my wonderful two-reply thesis contained a lot of garbage, misinformation. So, I deleted it. 

Of course, the Tax Tables do work, they’re logical, and well-designed, but they’re a little misleading, with those 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, etc. brackets being mentioned without explaining how each one is used to process your Taxable Income (TaxInc) into Tax due as found in the Tax Tables. An example may clarify how the Tables work.

Tax brackets for current tax year 2019, Single filer info.

Tax rate

Single filers
TaxInc Chunks

Width of
TaxInc Chunk

10%

$ 0  –  9,700

$    9,700

12%

9,701 – 39,475

29,774 *

22%

39,476 – 84,200

24%

84,201 – . . .

N/A

Example: Joe is a Single Filer with $80,000 in TaxInc. He is indeed in the 22% marginal tax rate bracket, but this only applies to the part of his TaxInc between $ 39,476 and 84,200, which is $ 40,526 **.

He only pays

10% on the first

$     9,700

, which is

$  970

then only   

12% on the next

, which is

and finally 

22% on the last

, which is

$  80,000

$ 13,459

Total tax due is $13,459.

If you look up $80,000 in the Tax Tables, you find $ 13,464, which is $ 5 more, but close enough, I suppose. I triple-checked my work and found nothing wrong. I might be inclined to include the table with my return and pay only $ 13,459, but is it worth chancing an audit? If the difference were $100, yeah, it’s probably worth it.

Point is, don’t figure your tax per the example, just let the example show you that you are NOT taxed at 22% of your Taxable Income of $80,000. Just look up Taxable income in the Tax Tables. They do work, and fairly, given the desired result set by Congress and the IRS.

BTW, Tax_Due / Taxable_Income gives a percent:

$ 13,459  /  $ 80,000 ≈ 0.168 = 16.8%,

and, of course, not 22%. I suppose you could call this 16.8% the “blended tax rate” or “effective tax rate”. Whatever you call it, it’s the rate at which your Taxable Income is actually taxed.

I have a blended tax rate of 51.9% on taxable income of $11,139 after deductions. Why is this rate so high?!!!!

Ok ... the blended rate takes into consideration ALL the taxes you pay on the return plus the penalties ... so review the 1040 lines 12a to 19 including Sch 2 & 3.   I would assume you have self employment income and/or early retirement distributions. 

I had only self-employed income to report during this period. It's simply hard to imagine why the tax burden would be so high on so little.

LOOK at the return ...

SE taxes would have been assessed on the sch C profit and federal taxes only on the taxable income

... a simple example = 

Sch C profits  on $30K  x .153 = $4590  

Fed tax  on $11,000 x 10% = 1100

4590+1100= 5690  

5690 divided by 11,000 = 52% 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies