Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz
Level 15

What/how do I report a removal of excess Roth IRA contribution made in 2018?

When amending with 2018 TurboTax, simply enter the Roth IRA contribution under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.  If the contribution is an excess contribution, TurboTax will automatically prepare Form 5329. 

Thank you, I have found the proper form. One last question...do I have to amend my state tax return with this ineligible Roth IRA contribution or is it only the federal return?

dmertz
Level 15

No, if the distribution of the excess contribution for 2018 occurred after October 15, 2019, there is no effect on your 2018 federal or state income tax, just the federal penalty for 2018.

@dmertz 

Following this and couple of other threads, I have mostly solved my issues. One last explicit detail remains:

My 2018 return was prepared by a tax attorney but he is non responsive now. So I am doing it on my own.

Situation is exactly the same - in 2018 I contributed to 5500 to Roth IRA but my income was too high.

So I have already taken the money out through Vanguard in 2020 Feb. I have also paid the 6% penalty in 2019 return. Now I need to deal with 2018 return - few questions about that:

1. I have completed the form 1040-X and 5329. As indicated in 5329, I also completed schedule 4. Original 2018 return did not have schedule 4. Is this right?

2. Now, following schedule 4, do I need to create a new 1040 also and duplicate all numbers from old 1040 to this but add the additional 330 tax?

3. If answer to question 2 is Yes, then I can easily show the tax owed. But how do I indicate that I already received a refund. i.e. what should be answer to the questions 16 and 19 be? Original amounts of now just 0s and show additional tax?

Say, in 2018 originally I withheld 3000$ in tax while my tax liability was $1000, so I got $2000 refund.

Now, with this calculation, should I indicate the $3000 withholding? Of course I dont want to get paid twice and dont want to make a mistake. 🙂

In this example, the intent is to indicate my liability SHOULD have been $1330, given I got $2000 refund last year, I just need to pay the $330 now.

dmertz
Level 15

1. Yes, the excess contribution penalty for 2018 calculated on Form 5329 will propagate to 2018 Schedule 4 line 59, so Schedule 4 should be included with your mailed 2018 amendment.  (Form 5329 can sometimes be filed stand-alone since it has a signature block, but in the case of reporting an excess contribution I think it's appropriate to do a complete amendment to explicitly show that this results in no other changes to your tax return.)
  2. If you want to use 2018 TurboTax to prepare the amendment you would have to duplicate your 2018 tax return in 2018 TurboTax, then prepare the amendment.  It would be far simpler to prepare your amendment manually since the only changed amount will be on line 10, "Other Taxes."
  3. The amount of your previous overpayment (your refund) will go on Form 1040-X line 18, so the result will be $330 on line 20, the amount you'll owe with the amendment.

Thanks @dmertz ,

I think I get it. But need to make sure to avoid mistake.

I understood that I need to file 1040X, 5329, schedule 4 and 1040.

Open question is just about the 1040.

Is this right:

When I write the new 1040 manually (no turbo tax here - even if I have the license), I write the same number as before for 'withholding'. The change will show where I will owe 330 more in taxes. So that in turn will reduce the number in line 20a by 330 (refund).

i.e. line 14 and 15 increase by 330, lines 16,17,18 remain the same, lines 19 and 20a REDUCE by 330.

Do I write the routing number and account number too? I don't see the need, but don't know what IRS expectation is.

dmertz
Level 15

No amended Form 1040 is necessary.  The Form 1040-X takes its place.

Refunds resulting from an amendment cannot be direct deposited to your bank account.  For a refund determined on Form 1040-X the IRS will only mail a check.

@dmertz 

Aha! got it. So all I have to complete and file are 1040-X, sched 4 and 5329. I have them. Awesome. Will send them out to IRS with a check.

dmertz
Level 15

Ah, yes, I meant to say that you must pay the balance due.  Instead of including a check, you also have the option to pay by IRS Direct Pay:  https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Hello there,

I am a little late to the party but would appreciate any timely help as we are only a few days away from filing taxes:

Context: I realized I made excess Roth contributions in 2019 and early 2020 and got them removed from my financial institution in time before tax filing deadline (Some of the contribution was in 2019 and some in 2020). However, I have not received any 1099R/other tax forms from them yet! I am not sure how to report this in my 2019 tax filing and avoid any penalties.

Question: I have TurboTax premier but am not sure how to report and account for this excess removal for 2019 and 2020? I had a net loss when I removed the contributions and earnings from these contributions. Do I need to wait till next year (2021) when I file taxes for 2020 to report this? OR is there a way for me to do it for 2019 tax filing so I dont incur any penalties.  Please advise on what form to fill and where to fill info in TurboTax!

@DianeC958 @dmertz   

Hello there,

I am a little late to the party but would appreciate any timely help as we are only a few days away from filing taxes:

Context: I realized I made excess Roth contributions in 2019 and early 2020 and got them removed from my financial institution in time before tax filing deadline (Some of the contribution was in 2019 and some in 2020). However, I have not received any 1099R/other tax forms from them yet! I am not sure how to report this in my 2019 tax filing and avoid any penalties.

Question:

1) I have TurboTax premier but am not sure how to report and account for this excess removal for 2019 and 2020? I had a net loss when I removed the contributions and earnings from these contributions. Do I need to wait till next year (2021) when I file taxes for 2020 to report this? OR is there a way for me to do it for 2019 tax filing so I dont incur any penalties.  Please advise on what form to fill and where to fill info in TurboTax!

2) I also have excess roth contributions I need to correct from 2017 and 2018.  How do I do that using turbotax.  Can you please advise?

Followup: I am not even sure if I need to fill any extra tax forms showing that I have removed excess contributions to Roth for 2019 and 2020? There was a net loss (no earnings) when I withdrew and I am wondering if all I need to do is attach a statement with my return stating that this has been withdrawn and that suffices or do I need to fill our more forms for this for my 2019 tax year filing?

dmertz
Level 15

With a net loss there is no need to enter the Form 1099-R that you will not receive until near the end of January 2021.  Just enter the original Roth IRA contribution, let TurboTax indicate how much is an excess, then enter the excess amount (not the loss-adjusted amount) as the amount of contribution returned.  TurboTax will prompt you to enter an explanation of the return of contribution and that's all you need.

Thanks @dmertz for the prompt response and help.

One follow-up for you:

I am also trying to clean up my past excess roth contributions: I made excess contributions in 2017 and 2018. I am removing them now but still have to pay fine on those for all past years (I'll be amending those) but also for 2019 and 2020. I couldnt find a way to populate form 5329 on TurboTax this year. How do I pay this fine for 2019 and waht paperwork/reporting do I need for this? Is there a way for me to locate this in the software? Do I also need to update a 8606 for this excess roth contributions for past years etc?

Many thanks for your help!

Simran

dmertz
Level 15

If you resolve the excess for in 2020, there will be no penalty for 2020.

In 2019 TurboTax, go to Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions, indicate that you have a Roth IRA, indicate that you opened a Roth IRA before 2019, answer the questions asking about your Roth IRA basis (making sure that the amount of your excess contributions for prior years is included in your contribution basis), answer Yes, when asked, "Do You Have Any Excess Roth Contributions," then enter the amount of excess Roth IRAs contributions made for years prior to 2019 and were not resolved by the end of 2019.  TurboTax will automatically prepare Form 5329.

With no Roth IRA distributions in 2019, there will be nothing on Part III of Form 8606.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies