Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

What/how do I report a removal of excess Roth IRA contribution made in 2018?

Generally, if you had no earnings when you withdrew the excess contributions then you have no taxable event and all that TurboTax would do, when you amend your 2022 return, is add explanation statements for the withdrawal of the excess contribution (with loss) and the recharacterization.

Therefore, you don't need to amend your 2022 tax return. If you want to add the explanation statements then I would wait until you receive the 2023 Form 1099-R in 2024.

You will get Form 1099-R  for the recharacterization with code R-Recharacterized IRA contribution made for 2022 and this belongs on the 2022 return. But a Form 1099-R with code R will do nothing to your return. You can only report it as mentioned below. Therefore, you can ignore the 2023 Form 1099-R with code R when you get it in 2024.

You will enter the recharacterization when you enter the contribution to the traditional IRA: 

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “IRA contributions” 
  3. Click on “Jump to IRA contributions"
  4. Select “traditional IRA
  5. Answer ‘Yes” on the “Roth IRA Contribution” screen
  6. Answer “No” to “Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution
  7. Enter the contribution amount 
  8. Answer “Yes” to the recharacterized question on the “Switch from a Traditional To a Roth IRA?” screen and enter the contribution amount (no earnings or losses) on the next screen.
  9. TurboTax will ask for an explanation statement where it should be stated that the original $xxx.xx plus $xxx.xx earnings (or loss) were recharacterized.

You will get a 2023 Form 1099-R  in 2024 with codes P and J for the withdrawal of excess contributions minus loss. This 1099-R belongs on your 2022 tax return but only earnings listed in box 2a are taxable. If you had a loss box 2a should be $0.

@ninnh5 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @DanaB27 i appreciate the insights. 

So technically i don't need to amend my 2022 returns for any of the re-characterization or return of excess. do i have correct understanding? 

for my wife's $3.7k recharacterization from traditional to roth the brokerage only transferred $3.2k, as brokerage said the $500 are net losses that took place during the market events in 2022. Do i have to report that in 2022 or it will be reported during my 2023 recharacterization? 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

The recharacterization of a 2022 contribution is reported in your 2022 tax return but all that TurboTax does is add an explanation statement. You don't have any taxable event and therefore no changes to your refund. Therefore, you technically don't need to amend your 2022 return. But if you want to add the explanation statements for the recharacterization and withdrawal of the excess contribution with a loss then you can do so when you receive the 2023 Forms 1099-R in 2024.

@ninnh5 

so when can i benefit from losses? or do losses just get evaporated? since 2022 won't show the losses in the return so just curious, what happens to the losses? 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the losses anywhere.

@ninnh5 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies