turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does Did Rita Inherit the IRA from TD Ameritrade Clearing, Inc.? mean? Is this based on paperwork when I considered rolling over my IRA, and then changed my mind?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

What does Did Rita Inherit the IRA from TD Ameritrade Clearing, Inc.? mean? Is this based on paperwork when I considered rolling over my IRA, and then changed my mind?

The question means that the program is asking you if this was always your account, or did you inherit it from someone else who passed away.

Sounds like the answer is no, you did not inherit the account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

It's asking if this was a distribution from an inherited IRA.  A code 4 in box 7 indicates that it is a distribution from an inherited IRA (which should make it unnecessary for TurboTax to ask this question, but TurboTax asks anyway).

Note that a non-spouse beneficiary is not permitted to roll over a code 4 distribution, so if you indicate that it's an inherited IRA and you are not the spouse of the decedent, TurboTax will not allow you to report the distribution as having been rolled over (which is fine in this case since you apparently did not attempt to roll this distribution over).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies