turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What amount should I enter into Box 14 for 1099-R in TurboTax when their is nothing entered on my mailed copy? There are amounts listed in Boxes 1 and 2a.

Many issuers for 1099-R forms do hot have unused boxes printed on their custom forms.  The TurboTax 1099-R entry screen must have all boxes to allow for all types of 1099-R forms.   Any box not on your 1099-R  must be left blank in TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dejohns46

What amount should I enter into Box 14 for 1099-R in TurboTax when their is nothing entered on my mailed copy? There are amounts listed in Boxes 1 and 2a.

I have the same problem (6/12/2020).   I  told customer support it must be a bug but after a lot of messing around got the recommendation to print my forms and mail them in.   

If you are filing  NY and the state rejects then it is a bug alright - a bug in New York's e-file software that does not conform to industrial standards for the 1099-R form.    

Box 14 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 12 & 13 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 14 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states (one being NY) that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 14 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 14 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Tahesia Ashford
Returning Member

If you are getting an error due to line 14, you should take the amount that is line 1 and place it in line 16. From there you should be able to efile. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies