Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

W2 has amt in box 14 labeled Tier1 and tier2 that we contribute to RR. He is not retired, so this is just our contribution amt. what option do I pick in dropdown box

@Bingo762 When you added the extra Box 14 line, did you Select code - "Railroad Retirement Compensation" Code RR?

Click this link for more info on Railroad Employee Box 14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W2 has amt in box 14 labeled Tier1 and tier2 that we contribute to RR. He is not retired, so this is just our contribution amt. what option do I pick in dropdown box

Yeah, I did that and still got the message. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent for further assistance.

Contact an agent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It seems there may be a bigger software issue. I've followed all the steps as well and it just isnt working. The RR where i'm employed knows if your using TurboTax because all the calls they've gotten regarding this problem.Hopefully it gets figured out soon.It was never a problem in the past

Hello,

It is not recognizing RRT 1 TX and RRT 2 TX  even after I entered the Box 1 (wages) amount as Railroad Retirement Compensation (RR) under Box 14, an error message comes up "It Looks Like You're Due a Refund from your Employer" - withheld too much. 

Please advise as to how to proceed

This did not resolve my issue

I'm getting the same error! Have you heard anything on how to resolve this issue?

Did you make contributions to a traditional deferred compensation plan?  If so, that amount needs to be added to the compensation amount. 

Its been happening to RR employees across the board. Add the extra box and it will still say you are due a refund from your employer and to get a an adjusted w2. I went to accounting they broke it down and tiers are all correct. It is a software issue they maybe they'll address by next year. Dont even waste your time like I did finish everything else and file. Super frustrating and alot of wasted time

jn32

Okay so after a lot of frustration finally realized that my employer had RRMEDWAGE for line 14.  This represents your income before 401k and any other non taxable income.  If you have that info typed in correctly then on the the drop down menu to the right you need to make sure to select "Railroad Retirement Compensation" .  My drop down menu automatically had something else selected.   🎆PROBLEM FIXED, THANK GOD, i was about to go insane.  Hope this helps someone else.

brockstar

What about RRTM and RRTA COMPENSATION? Those translate into Railroad Retirement Medicare Tax and Railroad Retirement Addl Medicare Tax. Those appear on my W2 as well. Has Turbotax not been preparing my taxes correctly for the last 7 years due to this issue? Do I need to refile all my returns for the last 7 years? This seems like a real screw up on TurboTax's part. I have been using the product for over 20 years, I guess the tax law has even become too complicated for it. Going to be doing it by hand next year and submitting paper returns.

brockstar

What about RRTM and RRTA COMPENSATION which also show up on my W2? Should those just be left off? The workaround of adding RRT COMPENSATION(Railroad Retirement Compensation) to box 14 equal to the value from box 1 has not stopped the error from popping up. BTW RRTM = Railroad Retirement Medicare Tx and RRTA COMPENSATION = Railroad Retirement Addl Medicare Tax.

Where is the thumbs down icon? No offense KarenJ2, but obviously Turbotax does not have this right, and I won't be using it in the future. I wonder how many of my returns in the last twenty years have been wrong?

brockstar

Okay, figured it out. Instead of identifying RRTA COMPENSATION as Railroad Retirement Addl Medicare Tax as the documentation suggests, I changed the tax category to Railroad Retirement Compensation. Now I have to go and look at my tax return from the previous years to see if this impacts my taxes. Ugh!

david321
Returning Member

the additional item 14 worked - i di have to increase the w-2 box 1 amount to include the deferred  income amounts in box 12

I had the same issue last year and just let it go... This year I investigated further. The general solution is to add an extra box 14 item for Retirement compensation using the Box 1 plus the Box 12 "D" total but this still produces the error. In my case I added Box 1 plus the Box 12 "D" plus Box 12 "GG" plus the Box 14 Tier 2 number and it comes out perfect. May have to go back a few years to make sure the Gov has it correct in their records..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies