turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

UBER said I won’t get a 1099 since I didn’t make more than 20,000. Is this correct and do I have to claim if under 20K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

UBER said I won’t get a 1099 since I didn’t make more than 20,000. Is this correct and do I have to claim if under 20K?

No, that is not correct.  A company should issue independent contractors earning more than $600.  Uber generally does issue them along with a 1099-K.  

However, even if you do not get one you will still need to file a return if you earned more than $400 in self-employment income. Since you are self-employed, you should be tracking your income and expenses and can easily file your return using the information you have.  TurboTax has added a great feature this year for Uber and Lyft drivers.  

To enter your Uber  income 

1.      Click on Federal
  2.      Income & Expenses
  3.     Scroll Down to Self-Employment and click 
  4.     Click Start next to Income and Expenses
  5.     Answer YES to “Did you have any self-employment income or expenses”
  6.     When you Enter Uber or Lyft when it asks you to “Tell us the type of self-employment work you do” TurboTax will customize your interview and will make it easy to enter all of your information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

you have to claim any self-employment earnings over $400.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No, that is not correct.  A company should issue independent contractors earning more than $600.  Uber generally does issue them along with a 1099-K.  

However, even if you do not get one you will still need to file a return if you earned more than $400 in self-employment income. Since you are self-employed, you should be tracking your income and expenses and can easily file your return using the information you have.  TurboTax has added a great feature this year for Uber and Lyft drivers.  

To enter your Uber  income 

1.      Click on Federal
  2.      Income & Expenses
  3.     Scroll Down to Self-Employment and click 
  4.     Click Start next to Income and Expenses
  5.     Answer YES to “Did you have any self-employment income or expenses”
  6.     When you Enter Uber or Lyft when it asks you to “Tell us the type of self-employment work you do” TurboTax will customize your interview and will make it easy to enter all of your information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies