turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

Same problem here.  SS withheld is exactly 6.2% of SS wages.

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

@JohnB5677 

Certainly not in the desktop software.

Boxes 1,3,5 at $5441.29

2= 100.00

4= 337.36

6=78.90

15 = NC   16= $5441.29      17 = blank

No other income anywhere.

Still get the same message

raise only box 4 to 337.49   Same W-2C Notice

raise only box 4 to  337.50  W-2C notice goes away 

(but I should be getting SS overpayment error.  What happened to that?)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
jimjokjv

Sorry but this answer is incorrect.

My employer is a church and my approved exemption form is on file with them.  They never deferred any Social Security taxes because  I DO NOT OWE ANY.

Turbo Tax as been my go to for years now but this is obviously an error in their programming and unless it gets straightened out.  I will be a former customer.

All, I have encountered this error as well.  It has to be a turbo tax issue/glitch.  I know for a fact that my employer did not defer any employee social security taxes because I am the Director of Payroll for my company.  I am going to ignore the error and move on with my tax filing but I am very disappointed with Intuit for having this issue.  I predict I will have a lot of alarmed employees contacting my department needlessly in the near future.  Fix the glitch Intuit!

CJBeezer

Same as everyone else. Return was fine a week ago and I have made no changes. Now I need the W2-C? I don't think so. This may be the last year I use TurboTax...

I am using TurboTax Deluxe Desktop, and the issue has not been fixed.  I just checked for updates, and it said my software is up to date.  However, I am still seeing this issue.  Did the 2/19 fix apply only to the online version?  If so, when will the desktop version be fixed?  In my case, I am certain it is an error.  I have checked all the Box 3/4 numbers, and they are correct.  Moreover, until a recent TurboTax update, I wasn't getting this error.

it has NOT been fixed.

loosing my confidence.

its simple math.

As of 2020-02-22 at 1 am EST this bug is still causing problems for me in the Desktop Deluxe version with all of the latest updates.

We would all appreciate it if @JohnB5677  could please push the information back to the QA department and let us know that they can confirm that it is still a problem. Can't file til they fix it.

My Turbotax is saying the same thing that I deferred part of my social security and will be getting a W2C. The problem is I checked all our W2's and they are perfect. 6.2% paid.

The problem is TURBOTAX

truevic

I checked the math and I am getting the correct box 4 and 3 expected 6.2% result.  Also checked with my employer.  I did not defer any SS taxes and never have.

I will file anyway regardless of this troublesome glitch.  I may not be using Turbo Tax next year.  I find that very sad because I have been a loyal user for 20+ years.   My confidence is reduced.

olivier_b

Hey TurboTax, it would be nice to hear from you and at least acknowledge the bug asap. We can wait for a fix but confirming the problem is urgent.

Thanks

msrd

The online version hasn't been fixed either. I still see the W-2C message .

It is really frustrating to see a bug like this.

Vactioner

Their online digital chat bot had this to say:

"If you believe you received this message in error, you can continue to file your tax return.

We expect this issue to be resolved by 2/26/2021. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign u here

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/containment.jsp?fid=Melanie%7C18232%7C

I signed up for alerts at that link, and hopefully it really will be fixed by 2/26.

Same issue here. Checked the numbers and they are correct for boxes 3 and 4. We're using TurboTax Desktop Premier.

annegwin

Incorrect. Both of my husband and I have W2s showing $137,700 in Box 3 for Social Security wages and $8537.40 (6.2%) in box 4 for Social Security tax withheld and we just received this notice for the first time today, 2/22, even though we've been updating our tax information for several weeks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies