Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meresin

TurboTax asked me what the Kansas Distribution Amount is. It's input the same number as the federal amount, but the box that says State Distribution on the form itself is blank. Does that mean the amount isn't taxable by the state, or should I just go wi

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

TurboTax asked me what the Kansas Distribution Amount is. It's input the same number as the federal amount, but the box that says State Distribution on the form itself is blank. Does that mean the amount isn't taxable by the state, or should I just go wi

Are you talking about a 1099-R? You should enter the amounts that are shown on the form itself, but just because it's blank doesn't mean that it's not taxable in Kansas. It most likely means that you didn't have any Kansas tax withheld from your distribution.

Kansas doesn't tax some public pension income, but does tax other retirement benefits, including IRAs and 401-ks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lake13x

Okay, I received Kansas retirement $ from my VOYA during 2019 and I know for a fact it is not taxable.  But I cannot find how to enter this in TurboTax.  I am trying to put this 'tax exemption' in the KS portion of Turbo but I cannot find it anywhere.  Tell me exactly how to do this and where in the Turbo process to do it.  I am a retired university professor who worked for the State of Kansas under the Board of Regents.  Thank you

@lake13x 

You need to EDIT the 1099-R form in the Federal income section, and when you move beyond the main 1099-R form page, the TTX software will present the page below, where you have to select the proper "source" there:

1099R_Kansas1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rdoss5
Returning Member

I moved from Colorado to Kansas and had one month of Kansas State tax taken out of my Military retirement.  So what amount would I enter for the Kansas Distribution Amount?  Thanks.

Well, that's going to be a bit of a conundrum.   KS is one of a few states that has Part year residents choose to file either as a full-year resident, declaring all Federal income is KS income, then take a credit for taxes paid to the other state (CO)....................or as a full-year non-resident and then just declaring the income you received after your move as KS pseudo-non-resident income.    I suspect that filing as a full yr non-resident would be easier in your case.  Any income, pension $$, interest, dividends, cap gains, mutual fund distributions, etc, you received after you physically moved to KS would then become assignable to KS during the KS non-resident interview.

BUT.....You need to get in ALL of the federal income, deductions, & credits into the tax software before you attempt to go into the CO part-year state tax return, and the KS Non-resident interview, so it maybe a few weeks before you have all your data to fully fill in the Federal section.

After each full run-thru, print out your forms and look at them and go back and edit as needed....DO NOT file until you are comfortable all are correct.   Part-Year tax returns can get messy.....and if too messy or confusing, it might be the year to go to a local professional tax preparer.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies